+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Filtering with diatomacious earth in cone filter

Default Filtering with diatomacious earth in cone filter

To anyone out there with filtering experience. I'm a backyarder and don't intend to go with pressure filters (not yet anyway). Is there any reason not to use diatomaceous earth with a cone filter process? I stir it in the finished syrup just before dumping in the filter assembly. It grabs a lot of the stuff that will get through prefilters and orlon filter. Seems to make a much clearer syrup in the end.
    1st year tapped 5 trees, boiled in pans on rock fire - really smokey taste
    2021 - 20 taps - 4 Gal on barrel stove and pans
    2022 - 9.1 Gal - 41 taps this year. 14 + 7 on 3/16" gravity vacuum. 20 in buckets/bags. DIY RO system - 2/3 water gone - amazing.
    2023 - 59 taps: 25 on 3/16" vacuum line/pump, 30 on 3/16" natural vacuum, 4 on bags. New 2x3 Badgerland pan anxious to try.

Someone with more experience will be able to answer better, but I suspect without the pressure of the pump the D.E. will clog the filter and nothing will get through.
    Sugaring since 2000.
    2022 - 113 taps on tubing and gravity. Homemade evaporator and RO.
    2023 - 120 taps on 5/16 and gravity added a float to the pan an built a new 5x400gpd RO

The de with most certainly clog the cone filter. I tried it many moons ago and could barely get a drop through. You need the pressure to help make a layer of cake. Otherwise it will just stay suspended throughout the syrup. I would just invest in using more pre filters, I use to use a minimum of 4 inside my cone filter and always had clear syrup.
    2024- 500 taps on vac
    100 on gravity
    2x8 vision
    2 sugar crazed Akitas and one awfully patient wife

+ Reply to Thread