+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sand in bottle after canning

Default Sand in bottle after canning

Hi, this is my 2nd year making syrup. Last year I had alot of sand in the bottles after the heat canning. This year I let the sugar settle to the bottom of the pan before canning the top portions. Before heat canning the jars did not appear to have much sand at all. After the heat canning, they show alot more sand. Any idea why, and can this be prevented?

Welcome Greg. First,what are you using to filter,and second,is your syrup thick enough? Do you move the filter at all while filtering,a definite no no.
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

What temperature is the syrup when you are canning? You want to keep it 180-190 F.
    Sugaring since 2000.
    2022 - 113 taps on tubing and gravity. Homemade evaporator and RO.
    2023 - 120 taps on 5/16 and gravity added a float to the pan an built a new 5x400gpd RO

Greg, you need to perfect your filtering. Letting the syrup settle works for home use, but rarely if ever will you get anything that is good for selling. For clear syrup, you must filter, the best methods are vacuum filters or filter presses but those are not the only good ways to filter. Before those items were invented, good clear syrup was available by using either cone filters and prefilters by small producers, or flat filters on a filter rack by larger producers.
    Either method is done the same way. First decide which is right for your size operation. To filter the syrup must be hot, 210-219F is ideal. Then put a heavy (orlon or wool) filter in place, line it with 3-5 prefilters and pour the syrup into or onto the filter. A cone filter can often be done directly as you draw syrup off the evaporator. As a prefilter gets plugged, remove it carefully and resume filtering. Both flat or cont filters can be cleaned, with good clean hot water, never wring the filter or it will be ruined, just squeeze it, then hang to dry. Then bottle the syrup at 180-190F, heating it further creates more sugarsand.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I use glass, so I need clear syrup. The orlon cone filter works great. As above, use one or two prefilters as well to start out. The only issue is, the orlon cone filter is huge and only the bottom gets used. Once I have the filter in my rack, I reach down to the bottom and pull up the center as if I was making a hat. When the filter starts slowing down I can push down on the center, so I'm always using a clean section of the filter. When it starts slowing down again, I just push the filter down so it's in its normal position. Works for me, and filtering goes faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg32451 View Post
    Hi, this is my 2nd year making syrup. Last year I had alot of sand in the bottles after the heat canning. This year I let the sugar settle to the bottom of the pan before canning the top portions. Before heat canning the jars did not appear to have much sand at all. After the heat canning, they show alot more sand. Any idea why, and can this be prevented?
    If I understand you right, it sounds like you are putting the syrup in canning jars and then in a boiling water bath to seal. just heat the syrup up to 180 to 190 and add to jars and tip upside down they will seal with out doing a boiling water bath like typical canning process.

Bryan

+ Reply to Thread