+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trempealeau County 2023

Default Trempealeau County 2023

Taps placed today and about 3/4 were flowing. 45 taps all on yard silver maples. If the weather holds as forecast it should be a good boil this weekend!

West branch Kickapoo River Valley, Southwestern Wisconsin

Hope you have a great season And have fun with it. As grandpa in the movie Grumpy Old Men gave us one of my favorite quotes. Its all about the experience Johnny thats all there is.
    12x16 Sugar House 2x6 Maple Pro wood fired evaporator Arctic Cat 4x4 1980 Snowmobile 225 taps on buckets 17 Taps on 3/16th tubing on steep hillside

For the time being this is my spring sanity project - a pleasant diversion from my day job. I’ve kept it small enough to be enjoyable with the kids. It may grow into something more in the empty-nest phase, but this works for now.

Yesterday wasn’t a high-flow day due to temps staying below freezing until the afternoon, but only a single dry bucket so it looks like they’re waking up!

Where in Trempealeau County? Our farm is in western Jackson, near Taylor. Going bigger there is part of my retirement plan. Just too far away from the Milwaukee area now and parenting and full-time normal job.... Mom and Dad still do a little bit on a small scale to keep enough around.

Hope you have a good season!!
    42.82N
    2015 - Small operation. 25 buckets. One excited 5 year old and one 35 year old that feels 5 again.
    2016 - One year older. New Homemade 2x4 Arch, Smoky Lake Pan and looking at 52 maples, 17 box elders and 2 walnut trees.
    2017 - Shurflo 4008 hooked to 42 stingy silver maples and a few Norways. A couple buckets on sugars and Norways. 10 box elders.
    2018 - ...a few more taps.
    2019 - ...more taps on 3/16 gravity. This spiral is heading downward in a hurry.
    2020 - 4x400 RO - RB20 (uh-oh!)

I’m in the hills halfway between Blair and Ettrick. Beautiful country unless it’s freezing rain…

Drove down Hwy 93 last year and someone had a ton of trees tapped along the river. Bought a tractor from a guy up in that area this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by DairyVet View Post
    I’m in the hills halfway between Blair and Ettrick. Beautiful country unless it’s freezing rain…
    Nice, beautiful area indeed. I spent a lot of time over there with friends (that lived near Beach) before I moved away for college.
    42.82N
    2015 - Small operation. 25 buckets. One excited 5 year old and one 35 year old that feels 5 again.
    2016 - One year older. New Homemade 2x4 Arch, Smoky Lake Pan and looking at 52 maples, 17 box elders and 2 walnut trees.
    2017 - Shurflo 4008 hooked to 42 stingy silver maples and a few Norways. A couple buckets on sugars and Norways. 10 box elders.
    2018 - ...a few more taps.
    2019 - ...more taps on 3/16 gravity. This spiral is heading downward in a hurry.
    2020 - 4x400 RO - RB20 (uh-oh!)

Pulled taps and finished boiling today. Probably could have kept going another week if work/family plans allowed, but no regrets there. Ended up with a touch over 9 gallons of finished syrup and am happy with that.

Going to tap the birch trees in about a week to keep the good times rolling. Skipped RO for maple this year in a quest for darker syrup (mission accomplished!), but it will be absolutely essential for birch.

+ Reply to Thread