+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lineviper vs One Handed Tubing Tool

Default Lineviper vs One Handed Tubing Tool

I am looking to get some input regarding tubing tools, particularly live viper and one handed tools.

At this time I have made do without any tubing tools, though I am looking at getting a couple of tubing tools to use as I have reached the point where doing it by hand is no longer practical (going for 400-500 taps this year).

I am planning to pickup a 2 handed tubing tool, but was also thinking it may be good to have a smaller tool to help with assembling drop lines and installing taps (replace check valve taps every year).

Originally I was looking at the simple 1 handed tubing tool with vice grips, though then I also found the line viper. I have not heard much about this tool. From what I can gather from previous posts here it does provide a good bit of a hand workout but I did not see anything else major in the complaint department.

I did notice leader does make a similar model, their "Compact One Handed Tubing Tool", without vice grips, though the local supplier does not usually carry and I have not heard any reviews on that either.

Any input or suggestions from those with experience with these tools? I think I will definitely want the 2 handed for laterals, though just not sure on the one handed. Not having vice grips to constantly open and close would be nice. Might get the 2 handed this year, and just wait to get a one handed next year.

Thanks in advance.

I borrowed a friends two handed tool last season(Not sure of the manufacturer) and used it the few days i was able. I immediately purchased one for myself from Maple tech tools along with a one handed tool. I was very happy with the customer service and quality of the tools i recieved. I can't believe i waited 6 seasons to bite the bullet on a tool for this task. If you are only going to choose one surely get the two handed tool, it really helps with stringing new lines and cutting T's & drops. I also found it helpful for pressing on taps and tees, you just use one of the clamps as a backstop to press whatever fitting against.
    6th season solo sugar maker in a young sugar bush of mostly red maples
    320 taps
    2x6 self built arch, Flat pans w/ dividers
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

Default Maple Tech Tools are great!

I have never used a Lineviper so i can't really give you the comparison and i am also interested BUT i can speak to the quality and value of Maple Tech tools. I have a double hand tool and a single hand compact and have found them to work very well. I agree that if your only in the market for one tool the double is the way to go. The vice grips seem like they would be cumbersome until you use to tools; the vice grip step in using the tool is very fluid and the positive lock on the tubing is tenacious.
    At least 5th Gen Sugarmaker
    30"x10'6" Vortex with Steamaway
    1000ish on vac with Atlas DSV065 Claw,
    ? buckets per how dumb i am feeling.
    Prehistoric DG500 RO, and a big Timberwolf splitter.

I have to agree with the two previous posts about the Maple Tech tools. That and the fact that they seem to cost less, and are good quality.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

I have a LineViper and it works well. It took a little while to get used at first, but I find it pretty handy to have.
    12X16 Sugarhouse and 16x24 attached woodshed
    1000 taps
    120 3/16 tubing
    And still some buckets
    Becker U5.70 Rotary vane
    Leader 2X8 Reverse oil fired, Revolution Pans & Steam a way
    Lapierre Turbo 2000 600 GPH RO
    Leader Clear frame filter press
    John Deere Gator 6X4
    Indy 500 and a very large sled.
    Kubota M8200

I started out with a 2 handed tool 3 years ago and this year I bought the Viper. I hardly use my 2 handed anymore. Some people complain it hurts their hands but I dont see a problem.
    1960 - 1970s 70 taps on galvanized buckets with Dad and Grandpa.
    1970s - 1985 Acted crazy!
    1986 - 2005 20-30 buckets.
    2006- 2017 70 buckets and bags
    2017-2019 100 bags and buckets
    2020 Finally retired!!! 75 buckets, 50-75 on tubing. RO Bucket, New 12 X 16 Shack and a 42X42 flat pan.
    2021-Adding another 125 taps along with a second RO bucket.
    2022- Shooting for 350 taps, with 100 on lines.
    Lots of Family and Friends and dogs named Skyy and Nessy!

+ Reply to Thread