+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Checking what VT sugar makers are doing

Tonight will be our last boil. it's taking roughly 65 gallons of sap to make a gallon of syrup... Sap is still crystal clear, but weak! my syrup is tasting great, however we started noticing a little different flavor in it towards the end of last night. we'll be around 1/2 a crop when all is said and done. so, not a total loss, but surely the worse we've had it since we started.
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

We got another 6,000+ gallons of 1.5-1.7 Brix sap overnight before it froze up. Concentrating today and sending it to the refrigerated bulk tank until the crew can boil. Hoping we get another decent run today and tonite, then that's likely the end. Will post final numbers when we get there, but definitely not a banner year for sure.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I too had to dump yesterday's run. Off smells when I tried to boil it. Off taste when I sampled the syrup pan. These are north facing sugar maples. No reds. Peepers are loudly declaring Spring.
    173 on 3/16 natural vac for 2023
    36 buckets
    2 x 5 Smoky Lake Hybrid pan on a custom arch
    RB25 from RO Bucket
    12x24 salvaged sugarhouse built by wife's grandpa
    1965 Massey Ferguson 165 tractor to haul sap.

Color came up a lot over the last 2 nights which was nice. SCC has just been a steady 1.6 to 1.7 all year but it is running alright. Hoping another week will help out a bit and turn it into an alright year.

Has anyone been reading up on the new VMSMA sugarhouse certification program? Last years sample program was palatable, but to me if they pour gas on that and light it on fire. If that gets pushed through about 75% of the sugarhouses in Vermont will not be able to certify. Probably wont hurt VMSMA will all their influx of cash though.

VT sugaring suffered this year as brix dropped fast and days were few.
    In CT they had a 3 month season. A record year across the boards.
    I did burn my pan slightly on my last boil-foamed up so bad couldn't see the depth.
    Canola oil didn't help much and then I smelled the burn under the boil.. Immediately dumped
    h2o in middle compartment and then I could see it. Bummer. Season over and used some
    diluted vinegar to get it off. All cleaned now so no worry but the middle of the pan did belly down a little
    but pan is level-so pan is still good. phew. Buckets and taps pulled. Now it's clean up time for the RO,
    taps, buckets, lids etc.
    Oh well, wait a year and see how the next season goes.
    Total for me was 6 gals of great sugar-and 2 gal cooking sugar. so, 8 total. I'm okay with it but it's not
    enought to fill my orders. I'll be selling all but 2 gal.
    Made 3 qts of infused strawberry sugar. It's just so ... so good.
    *wipes drool from mouth*
    See you all next season.

Quote Originally Posted by billyinvt View Post
    Peepers are loudly declaring Spring.
    I've got mayflowers poking up too.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    Decent couple of runs over the weekend totaling over 2 gal/tap. Sugar bumped up a little in one bush to 1.7, but still 1.4 Brix in the other. Only a slight chance for a freeze tonite, so the end is likely close. Not likely to hit our minimum target this year.
    Dr. Perkins, what is Proctor's target in GPT?
    Boulder Trail Sugaring
    150 Taps on Vacuum
    Homemade 20"x40" Hybrid Pan - 15 gph
    Homemade Steamaway - 10 gph
    Waterguys single-post RO

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by jrgagne99 View Post
    Dr. Perkins, what is Proctor's target in GPT?
    Our minimum target each year is 0.5 gpt. Our average production from 2004-2020 is 0.6 gpt. Have fallen below the minimum target only one other season (in 2012 we got 0.46 gpt) since 2004 when we retubed the entire woods and changed to high yield production. This year might even fall below 2012.

There's still a slim change we'll hit our minimum target, but I'm not holding my breath. Should know in a few days.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Last boil for me tonight. Making some dark to maybe very dark syrup but the flor knock on wood is still very good. I can’t image it running much longer given the warm nights in addition to the sap sitting so warmly, was sad to lay the mainlines out of the tank. Good luck to everyone finishing up, I’ll see you on the other side!
    Mead Maple "It's for the kids..."
    Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever
    -Goal: 3 gallons
    -Season Total: 7.5 gallons - pulled taps after running out of firewood and time
    Built 2'x8' Oil Fired with Thor drop flue pans
    -Goal: 20 gallons
    -Season Total: 55 gallons

Finally caught up yesterday from the Thursday Friday Saturday run. Sap had stayed cool until yesterday, the sun is jist too much and it will be worse today. R.O slowed way down with the last few push's so made some of the sap sub par while it waited to be run thru. Time for another vessel!! and syrup filtering quite hard. Probably could have made another 100 gallons of non table grade syrup but decided not to.

Overall it was a difficult year, not a good one for an expansion!!. I almost thought it was over a week and half ago when we were at the same production as last year with 1900 more taps- thank God it didn't end there, would have been hard to keep the moral up. We did finish out last night with about 1995 gallons I was hoping for 2000 as a minimum so we're there as far as I'm concerned. Sugar ended around 1.3 and the syrup had just started the Sourish smell and taste but not as bad as I've seen in past, Made a big difference having the extra taps, no waiting for sap to boil so was always able to collect fire up keeping things fairly fresh.

Time for cleanup and preparation for next year, and finish the other portion of the current expansion. I pulled a bud apart and looks like may be a seed year, seems every 3 years I see masting here- not really helpful for next year.

Hats off to a year that hopefully doesn't repeat anytime soon!!
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

+ Reply to Thread
Page 319 of 372 FirstFirst ... 219269299309310311312313314315316317318319320321322323324325326327328329339369 ... LastLast