+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Boiling Questions

Default Boiling Questions

I have 2 Questions about boiling
    1) Can you boil "Too hard"
    2) Does 2 part boil effect product? i.e. Boil off most water, refrigerate 2-3 days and then finish, filter, and can.

I tried my hand at syrup making for first time last year. I gathered approximately 150 gallons of sap and generated 3 gallons of syrup. I am using a block arch with steamer serving trays (full size 6" deep). I canned in mason jars after filtering with several layers of "Tap my trees" brand filters. Everything turned out wonderful.

This year I have good wood (last year I used bigger logs not fully seasoned resulting in slow boils) and am able to achieve very hot fires. At times I get a violent boil although there are several inches of sap in pan. Additionally I have been boiling to close to finish and refrigerating for couple of days prior to finishing. I have been getting a suspension in my syrup that I didn't have last year. I am assuming this is referred to as niter. After a couple of days it does settle to the bottom of jars. I haven't changed anything (including trees tapped) from last year with the exception of these 2 things. I canned 1st batch by gravity filter and decided to step up and build a vacuum filter. I had same results with both. Any insight would be appreciated.

Wife says I am becoming obsessed with this maple syrup production, I told her that everybody here has pretty much done the same!

It sounds like niter, which you can let settle in the jars then pour off syrup slowly. don't throw out the niter syrup, just put it all together and heat it up and filter it again,
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

You can’t over boil it I don’t think unless you take it past syrup. As for clarity it sounds to me like nitre also. If your putting to much vacuum to it I’m sure you’ll draw stuff through the filters. Also if get it to hot when bottling you could be getting it then. I’ve also been down that road lol
    225 taps 180 on vac 45 on natural gravity lines.
    2x6 drop flue with auto draw.
    Home built 3 x400gpd ro
    2017 kubota M7060hdcc12
    2019 can am defender

2017- first year 80 taps 22x36 home made arch and pan.

As long as there is enough in the pan, (1" or more in a level pan" it can't be boiled too hard). That is why I had my custom pans made 4" taller than standard. My flue pan is 20" tall but the level in the pan is at max 11" (10" raised flues), my syrup pan is 16" tall and the level is kept at 1". Both boil so hard that the sap/near syrup jumps high as it boils.
    Last edited by maple flats; 03-15-2021 at 03:46 PM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Just make sure you dont take it too close to syrup. Then it can foam up and cause a dry spot in the pan which instantly burns the sugars!

The sediment you describe sounds like nitre but that should be filtered out by your filters. If you're heating syrup above 200 when you package you can cause more nitre to form and would need to refilter. Also, the amount of nitre formed is not consistent year to year.
    2023 - 130 taps, 90L from 4,000L as of mid March
    2021 - 84 taps, 50L from 2100L
    2020 - 100 taps on buckets, 21L syrup from 2700L so far (FEB 26-Mar 13) and then the pandemic hit! End of our season!
    2019 - 62 taps on buckets, 95L syrop from 3215L sap
    2018 - 62 taps, collecting by hand, 90L syrop from 3200L sap
    2017 - Lapierre Waterloo Small mini pro with 40 taps
    2014 - 2016 40 taps making one or two batches on a 2x6 flat pan over an open arch as it would have been done in 1900

+ Reply to Thread