+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Silver Creek Maple Evaporators Reviews?

Default Silver Creek Maple Evaporators Reviews?

Does anyone have any experience with Silver Creek Maple evaporators? I am expanding from 18 to ~50 taps this year, so I am planning on upgrading from my two steam table trays to a 2x4 divided flat pan on a purpose built evaporator (rather than a barrel or old wood stove). The price point on the Silver Creek evaporator is really reasonable, but I want to make sure that people haven't had problems with them in the past. I bought my hydrometer and cup combo from them last year and really like those, but this is a significantly larger purchase obviously so I want to do my homework. I was also looking at the WF Mason evaporators which everyone on here seems to speak very highly of, but given that I live in the lower peninsula of Michigan its a lot easier to drive to Huntington Indiana than Porter Maine.
    2022: Same as 2021, but added a 1995 Chevy C2500 for sap hauling, 17 gal
    2021: 70 taps on buckets, 2x4 Silver Creek divided flat pan, added another 400GPD membrane to the RO, 17.25 gal
    2020: 18 taps on buckets, same arch/pan setup, 1 x 400GPD homemade RO, ~5 gal
    2019: 3 taps, homemade cinder block arch with two 6" steam tray pans

No experience with Silver Creek Maple, but I bought the Smokey Lake Dauntless Evaporator this summer and looking forward to using that this year instead of 3 steam pans on a cinder block arch. The Dauntless is about the same price point, and people on here have had good reviews of it.

https://www.smokylakemaple.com/produ...sap-to-the-pan

Bryan

Silver Creek is close to me and they built a cover for my pan but I don't have experience with their evaporator. The owner is experienced and professional. They also do custom work if you want something different than what you see on their website.

Sunrise Metals is also close to you. https://sunriseevaporators.com/
    Sunrise 2X4 Hobby
    Smoky Lake Hybrid Pan

100 Taps

40 Taps

I do have a homemade RO system using the Aquatech 8800 and a single 400 GPD membrane, but I never got around to keeping track of what I was actually getting for rate of increasing concentration. I may add another membrane to that this year in addition to the evaporator as I made sure to leave an extra spot for one on the setup. I try to do almost all of my boiling on the weekends because I work full time and I'm the only one really running everything, which is why I am leaning towards a 2x4. That, and I want to be prepared for continuing to add taps - this hobby is expanding much more quickly than I could have imagined.
    2022: Same as 2021, but added a 1995 Chevy C2500 for sap hauling, 17 gal
    2021: 70 taps on buckets, 2x4 Silver Creek divided flat pan, added another 400GPD membrane to the RO, 17.25 gal
    2020: 18 taps on buckets, same arch/pan setup, 1 x 400GPD homemade RO, ~5 gal
    2019: 3 taps, homemade cinder block arch with two 6" steam tray pans

I have the Smoky lake 2 x 4 high output raised flue pan set and corsair arch and i am very satisfied with its performance. No r.o. though.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

i would prefer an evaporator with 22 gauge pans.

+ Reply to Thread