+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for way to store hydrometer between tests that is clumsiness proof

Quote Originally Posted by 77maple View Post
    All good suggestions. I've broken many, learned the hard way. We use a coffee thermos. Works pretty good
    Thank you, 77 Maple, your idea of using a coffee thermos is brilliant! I have a stainless steel Coleman coffee thermos that I'm not using. It is 9" high with an opening diameter of 1.6 inches at the top and a diameter of 2.5 inches wide at the bottom. It would make a good stable place to put the hydrometer in between tests, and it would be easy to wash afterwards. Here's Amazon's picture of it:

The utensil drying rack that I ordered a few hours ago from Amazon is 3" wide in diameter and 5" high. I think that it would also work. It's wider, which could cause a problem, but it's also less high, so it could be easier to place the hydrometer in it without breaking. Also, with it hanging from the inside of a pot or sink, there's less chance of me knocking it over with the hydrometer inside. Here's Amazon's picture of it:

51P5mVyiFFL._AC_SX679_.jpg
    Last edited by HowardR; 02-29-2020 at 06:30 AM.
    680 5/16 taps on gravity
    red and sugar maples
    2 Homemade ROs
    Stovetop evaporator
    Filter press by Daryl
    Star San Tube Pump
    Drying rack for hydrometer
    Loves tapping in snow

I have used the thermos method for years. I put hot sap in it and it keeps the hydrometer hot and clean. I will change it out at least a couple times a day.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

That thermost idea shown above is brilliant! Love this mapletrader site,
    110 taps W.F Mason 2x3 and two turkey friers for finishing

2011 expanding to a Mason 2x4 with a blower increasing taps to about 200
    2011 Hurricane Irene rips thru my small sugar bush cost me to lose 20% of taps
    2014 I have reworked my lines for 2014
    32 taps on 5/16 line with check valves
    57 taps on 3/16 line with check valves
    55 buckets with total tapped trees of 144

My hydrometer cup sets on a shelf year round, behind a counter. On top I have a soft PVC cap that came on some thing shipped to me in a 2" tube years ago, I just had to make a cut out for the handle, so the cap sets nicely on the hydrometer cup keeping anything from getting in.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

This is what we have been using for about 35 years. Haven't broken more then 3 or 4 in all those years. 15831846642091863621508.jpg

I store my Cup and Hydrometer in a bucket of hot water next to the Arch.
    1960 - 1970s 70 taps on galvanized buckets with Dad and Grandpa.
    1970s - 1985 Acted crazy!
    1986 - 2005 20-30 buckets.
    2006- 2017 70 buckets and bags
    2017-2019 100 bags and buckets
    2020 Finally retired!!! 75 buckets, 50-75 on tubing. RO Bucket, New 12 X 16 Shack and a 42X42 flat pan.
    2021-Adding another 125 taps along with a second RO bucket.
    2022- Shooting for 350 taps, with 100 on lines.
    Lots of Family and Friends and dogs named Skyy and Nessy!

Quote Originally Posted by bill m View Post
    This is what we have been using for about 35 years. Haven't broken more then 3 or 4 in all those years. Attachment 21102
    Bill M,

That's a great hydrometer holder! It certainly protects your hydrometers, and it makes it easy to take them out without breaking them. I'm starting to finish off a batch of syrup today, and here's my new hydrometer in its new utensil drying rack:

HydrometerInHolder.jpg
    680 5/16 taps on gravity
    red and sugar maples
    2 Homemade ROs
    Stovetop evaporator
    Filter press by Daryl
    Star San Tube Pump
    Loves tapping in snow

The 304 Stainless Steel Utensil Drying Rack that I bought from Amazon is working. It protects my new hydrometer from the ways I broke my last two:

1. It is deep enough, but not too deep, so I don't have to hold the hydrometer from its top tip when placing it into its storage container. (I broke my first hydrometer when I dropped it into the hydrometer cup while holding it from its top tip.)

2. It keeps my hydrometer safe from breakage between batches. (I broke my second hydrometer when I put it on a plastic mat next to the hydrometer cup, and knocked the cup over onto it.)

The left side of the picture below shows it hanging in the finishing pot between tests, and the right side shows it hanging to dry from the edge of my stainless steel sink between batches:

Hydrometer2Positions.jpg
    Last edited by HowardR; 03-08-2020 at 08:28 AM.
    680 5/16 taps on gravity
    red and sugar maples
    2 Homemade ROs
    Stovetop evaporator
    Filter press by Daryl
    Star San Tube Pump
    Loves tapping in snow

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12