+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sugar sand post filter questions

Quote Originally Posted by Msboucha View Post
    In our small operation, we filter multiple times throughout the boil...draw off, filter, continue boiling and then do a final filter just short of the right brix. Once we are at the right brix, we draw off into our mason jars/seal them. We set the jars aside and within a few days you will see the niter settle. For the syrup we use for ourselves, we simply pour off the top and then put the last bit with niter into another jar in the fridge - eventually we'll pour off of this jar of misfit pourings. For the syrup we give to family/friends, we pour off the top into a pot, being careful to not get niter (you will see it coming in the pour) and then reheat that to 180-200F and repack into nicer cans/jugs/jars - be careful to not let it micro boil on the bottom or you will get more niter - double boiler is best. Again, the bit that is left in the original jars goes into the fridge to resettle and eventually be poured off. Not a perfect system, but it makes for nice clear syrup to give away and works for us.
    Yes like Dave said your going through a lot of unnecessary work with the settling process. You didn't say what type of filtering your using?
    This method should work for you and maybe save you some steps:
    Boil syrup to the correct density, filter hot through a felt cone and a prefilter. (niter should be in the filter). After that, bring the syrup back to 180 F and bottle. Should be done and should be clear.
    Good luck!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarmaker View Post
    Yes like Dave said your going through a lot of unnecessary work with the settling process. You didn't say what type of filtering your using?
    This method should work for you and maybe save you some steps:
    Boil syrup to the correct density, filter hot through a felt cone and a prefilter. (niter should be in the filter). After that, bring the syrup back to 180 F and bottle. Should be done and should be clear.
    Good luck!
    Regards,
    Chris
    No, I understand the preferred method, but I find even then, sometimes the cone filter doesn't get all the niter and you will eventually have a small amount settle out. I was just outlining how we do it for the OP which can be helpful if you want to be sure you have no niter when packing in glass. I probably wasn't that clear in my description. We aren't doing it that much different than you described - cone filter and then reheat and pack, we jsut dont do it all the same day. We are working off grid in the cold and generally don't have time to wait for all the syrup to pass through the cone filter/it begins to cool too quickly/runs through even slower. So in an effort to save time, we pack it all as fast as we can without a final filtering (hence the reason we run through a filter short of it being to brix), this way it does not cool at all before hitting the jars. Since we only re-pack the little bit we give away and it is generally into fancy glass containers, it really isn't much more work to only reheat a few gallons/repack and be 100% sure we won't have any niter.
    Season Totals
    • 2019 - 24 Taps / 11.5 Gal. Syrup
    • 2018 - 24 Taps / 20 Gal. Syrup
    • 2017 - 18 Taps + 7 Taps added Mid-Season / 15 Gal. Syrup
    • 2016 - 18 Taps added Mid-Season / 5.25 Gal. Syrup
    Current Equipment
    • Off-grid solar/battery powered home-built RO and "Sugar House"
    • Homebuilt 34x17 Propane Evaporator

Quote Originally Posted by Msboucha View Post
    No, I understand the preferred method, but I find even then, sometimes the cone filter doesn't get all the niter and you will eventually have a small amount settle out. I was just outlining how we do it for the OP which can be helpful if you want to be sure you have no niter when packing in glass. I probably wasn't that clear in my description. We aren't doing it that much different than you described - cone filter and then reheat and pack, we jsut dont do it all the same day. We are working off grid in the cold and generally don't have time to wait for all the syrup to pass through the cone filter/it begins to cool too quickly/runs through even slower. So in an effort to save time, we pack it all as fast as we can without a final filtering (hence the reason we run through a filter short of it being to brix), this way it does not cool at all before hitting the jars. Since we only re-pack the little bit we give away and it is generally into fancy glass containers, it really isn't much more work to only reheat a few gallons/repack and be 100% sure we won't have any niter.
    Msboucha,
    Yes your fine in how your filtering! Thanks for the description of your process. Yes it will help others.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Try mixing some filter aid (DE) into the hot syrup before pouring it into the flat or cone filter, it will help filter the fines out.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I didn’t know you could use DE with a cone type filter. Do others have experience with this?

-nick

Thank you for your feedback. I filtered 1 more time after getting the correct density and everything was perfect. Thanks!

Nick,
    I've used DE with cone filters, and it definitely helps especially for really fine sand and extra heavy sand.
    Dave Barker
    2014 30 taps, steam tray pans
    2015 ~100 taps, in conjunction with University of Louisville
    2x5 Smoky Lake hybrid pan
    2022 150 taps

Quote Originally Posted by fisheatingbagel View Post
    I've used DE with cone filters, and it definitely helps especially for really fine sand and extra heavy sand.
    Fisheatingbagel - what did you use for a DE to syrup ratio? 0.5 cup/gallon? Honestly have no idea having never tried this, but interested... Thanks!
    Season Totals
    Current Equipment
    • Off-grid solar/battery powered home-built RO and "Sugar House"
    • Homebuilt 34x17 Propane Evaporator

Msboucha,
    Very little DE, at least I think compared to filter presses. Start with 0.25 per gallon, and go from there. Also, make sure you mix the DE well with the syrup before going into the filter.
    Dave Barker
    2014 30 taps, steam tray pans
    2015 ~100 taps, in conjunction with University of Louisville
    2x5 Smoky Lake hybrid pan
    2022 150 taps

Great, thank you!
    Season Totals
    Current Equipment