+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3/16 Tools

I have not used the LOAC tool but did get the hot end system this year after my 2 handed tool was stolen with my 4-wheeler. It has made adding drops a lot easier.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

I bought my second one in January and it was one that was ordered because my dealer had sold out. I do not know what the date of manufacture was nor do I know if he ordered it direct or from a distributor who may have had it a while. The new one works exactly like the one I've had for a few years.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by tgormley358 View Post
    Based on the strong recommendation in this thread of the two handed LOAC tool for both 5/16 and 3/16, I looked into buying one from H2O Innovation. They say LOAC has changed the design so that it can’t do both sizes any more. Does this ring true to those who have this tool? Did you buy them very recently?
    We bought ours 2 years ago. That's too bad if it doesn't handle both sizes anymore. I still would go with it. Easy to work with.
    CDL 2.5*8 Venturi with all the bells
    Leader Clear 5 bank filter press
    Memprotec 350H RO
    600ish taps and looking for more.

As a small producer I decided to buy the cheaper two-handed 3/16 tool (60% less than the LOaC) sold at CDL over the weeekend and used it yesterday on a couple lines. One lesson learned for newbies like me — I noticed that the 3/16 tee connectors can easily get crimped if you’re not careful, enough to severely slow sap flow. Usually it was when the tubing wasn’t going on straight and I pushed to hard to get it on instead of lining it up. Patience is a virtue here, as I had to cut out and replace a few of them, and. I’m a little worried that I left some of them crimped without noticing. Last year I had some smaller lines of 5/16 that never ran well, now I’m wondering if this was the reason.

Another newbie lesson, since last year my process for cutting in tees was to first cut the line, then line up both ends in the tool’s vice jaws, then install the tee. This is hard when you have tension on the lines obviously. The better way it seems to me is first grab the line with the jaws open, then cut out the section in between, then install the tee. Duh!

Tom
    2022 is season 7
    2016: 20 taps on buckets, 4 gallons on a borrowed 2x3.
    2017: 32 taps on buckets, 8 gallons of syrup, on a "loaner" Lapierre 19x48.
    2018: 80 taps. First time tubing. New 10x12 sugar shack, Lapierre 2x5. Made 17 gallons
    2019: 100 taps. 22 gallons. Added a small RO 50 gph.
    2020: 145 taps, 30 gallons, sold half. Murphy cup is a great addition.
    2021: tapped Feb 23, 150 taps, 35 gallons.
    2022: 200 taps. I lost 50, added 100. Having fun but short season?

"cut out the section in between"? Why, just 1 cut after clamping both sides, open the tool place the T and close the handles. I don't remove a piece unless there is a chew or other defect. If the tubing starts to get a little loose I keep pulling the lateral to subsequent drops until I can remove a length long enough to use for another drop line.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I don't know if this is the right place for this, but I built my own 3/16 tool, and it works like a charm. I couldn't see spending so much on the various models available, and I was worried that fabricating a simple one that didn't remain parallel through the swing would be a problem. Turned out to be a non-issue, though. I can one hand it easily if my cutters are in my pocket and the fittings or drops are within reach. I made it for less than $25. Materials were 1 conibear trap setting tool (20 inches long), 2 6" vice grips (cheapies), and 2 threaded rod connectors. I can provide more details if anyone is interested. I couldn't imagine putting up line without it. IMG_6580.jpg
    Now I have an outdoor hobby for all 12 months. Like I need anything more to do
    About 1000 taps on gravity tubing, MicRO2 RO, 2.5 X 8 Leader King, and a 1953 Willys Jeep to run around the maple woods with.
    http://www.gihringfamilyfarm.com/

That makes sense too Dave. Thanks. I cut out a section because I started by clamping the tubing with the handles open about 2”, enough for the tee to fit in. Made my work last night way easier. It makes more sense though as you’re saying to clamp the tubing With handles mostly closed together and just cut once.

I’m chuckling a little because my professional life is process improvement in healthcare, where I teach and encourage every staff member to find and try small improvements to improve care safety, quality, and efficiency every day. As a maple sugaring guy I’m the learner not the teacher and learning what it’s like find and implement my own small improvements
    2022 is season 7
    2016: 20 taps on buckets, 4 gallons on a borrowed 2x3.
    2017: 32 taps on buckets, 8 gallons of syrup, on a "loaner" Lapierre 19x48.
    2018: 80 taps. First time tubing. New 10x12 sugar shack, Lapierre 2x5. Made 17 gallons
    2019: 100 taps. 22 gallons. Added a small RO 50 gph.
    2020: 145 taps, 30 gallons, sold half. Murphy cup is a great addition.
    2021: tapped Feb 23, 150 taps, 35 gallons.
    2022: 200 taps. I lost 50, added 100. Having fun but short season?

I have a home-made 5/16 tool which works great. When I went to 3/16 tubing, I bought a LOAC. It works better. 3/16 tubing has issues by the nature of the size. To me, it is definitely harder to work with than 5/16 but the LOAC tool makes it easy. I cut a small section out as it tightens the line somewhat as I go along.
    2016 - 2 x 4 Randy Worthen built arch and pans 11 taps; 2.625 gallons of syrup!
    2017 - 29 taps; 11.625 gallons of syrup!
    2018 - 30 taps; 98 pints bottled! New sugar house being built, new equipment coming!
    2019 - 125 taps; 50 gallons made! New 2x6 Smoky Lake Corsair arch, drop flue pan, auto draw. Smoky Lake filter press and Steam Bottler
    2020 - 173 taps; only 35 gallons made.
    2021 - 242 taps; New record! 50.5 gallons made!
    2022 - 321 taps; New record! 80 gallons made!

There is nothing like having a tubing tool for sure. I started with tubing last year and done it all with hot water and hand pushing. Pull aparts, clogs and chews were an exercise in frustration. If it was a spot on tension I have spent 20-30 minutes trying to repair a line. So this fall I made a 3/16th two handed tool....it was like a gift from God. Take today as example. I walked my lines, because I haven't gotten out of the shack for 10 days and was sick some. I had one plugged tee, a pull apart and two squirrel chews. I had them all fixed and back to the house in less than an hour and that included walking the rest of the lines. That would have been 2 hours of frustration and I'd have come in pi##ed off last year. So if your on the fence, get off and get or make a tool, you'll never regret it.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12