+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Would a small 18x36 evaporator need a steam hood?

Default Would a small 18x36 evaporator need a steam hood?

I have a small 18x36 evaporator. It has an 18x24 drop flue pan and an 18x12 syrup pan. This is new, not even been able to try it out yet. Hopefully this weekend. I have a tiny sugar Shack made from pallets with a 5/12 pitched roof. It's only 8'x9'. I don't have a cupola, just leaving the gable ends opened, one or both, will see how it goes. What are thoughts on being able to vent the steam just through the gable ends? Will I need a vent hood? I have searched and searched for a picture of the hoods just made from plastic and strapping wood but haven't been able to come across one. For the ones that use those kind, how do you protect it from the stack? My stack goes straight up, not out the back and straight up. My evaporator is off to the side a bit so the stack doesn't go through the peak. Thanks for any help.

Need? From a function stand point I would say no. If you want steam control then yes, depending on how well your shack vents. For a preheater, yes. I made a hood for my 2x6 out of aluminum flashing and borrowed a trim break to bend it up. Pop rivets and food grade silicone fastened it together. Took me a day to build. Here is the link to the hood build: http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...eam-hood/page3
    Camp Wokanda
    Peoria Park District

2023 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, sap storage shack w/ 1100 gallon tank - 123 gallons
    2022 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, homemade vac filter & water jacket canner - 104 gallons
    2021 - 215 on 3/16 shurflo, added 2nd membrane to RO - 78 gallons
    2020 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, upgraded hp pump on RO - 66 gallons
    2019 - 150 on 3/16 shurflo, Deer Run 125 dolly RO - 73 gallons
    2018 - 120 on 3/16 shurflo, 2x6 raised flue w/hood, homemade arch w/ AUF & AOF - 34.5 gallons

I do have a cupola but this is my hood. Light weight chain, commercial drop ceiling tie wire, 5 mil plastic and spring binders. Guides the steam straight up to the openings.
    Attachment 19431
    backyard hobbyist
    Mason 2x3 w/AUF
    2020 - added small vacuum and gravity 5/16 tubing and sap sacks
    N 42* 18' 31."
    W 79* 34' 15."
    https://www.saptapapps.com/map/31868...-aab748a6394e/

Mol1jb,
    I don't have a preheater, this year anyway. I've only ever batch boiled before on an old cook woodstove with the covers removed. I was thinking a quick steam hood for this year, if I'll need it. I didn't know if others may have a similar situation as mine and may not even need one. If it vents ok out the gable ends, I'll be happy with that. But if I need to, was hoping to make a quick one out of the plastic type on framing. The main issue is getting the metal and keeping costs down. I had seen your hood in my searches, very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenman View Post
    I do have a cupola but this is my hood. Light weight chain, commercial drop ceiling tie wire, 5 mil plastic and spring binders. Guides the steam straight up to the openings.
    Attachment 19431
    Thanks for the pic Chickenman. That would be something easy to do if my Gable ends don't work out. I would have to protect it somehow from the stack, it looks like your stack goes out the back, does it?

Yes. Its behind the cement backer board outside my shack.
    backyard hobbyist
    Mason 2x3 w/AUF
    2020 - added small vacuum and gravity 5/16 tubing and sap sacks
    N 42* 18' 31."
    W 79* 34' 15."
    https://www.saptapapps.com/map/31868...-aab748a6394e/

+ Reply to Thread