+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Recycling old tubing

Default Recycling old tubing

Anyone know of any place in the northeast that will take old tubing and or spout adapters for recycling?

Hate to just keep throwing this stuff away.

Thanks

Dana

Haynes Forest Products Guest

I'm a big believer in recycling if it was really practical. I recycle everything I can and over the course of a year I send a fair amount of stuff to the scrap yard. My problem with most household recyclables is the cost it takes to get it back into the production stream. Lets ay you have a pickup load of tubing and you bring it to a recycle center it will end up in the landfill. Find a dedicated tubing recycle center then yes do it.

In America you will have a diesel burning truck drive down the road picking up a few tin cans hear and a bag of pop cans there with a pile of water bottles down the block but in reality its mandated and its a feel good exercise at best. If you put out a 18' Grumman canoe on recycle day it will go in the garbage truck. Take it to the scrap guy and you will get $150.00 for it.

I was at my local landfill in Denver and there was a mountain of ground up plastic and pop cans the size of 8 houses and it was staged on the side of the service road one day it was there the next morning it was spread over a 20 acre area for the next section of trash.

If China ain't buying its in the general landfill with it. Don't mean to sound so gloomy but its the facts when it comes to specialty plastics and rubber.

There is a recycler in Auburn, NY who makes plastic lumber and paneling type products. He only uses maple tubing if the price of oil is up, when it is down, he buys the raw product. Last summer I called to take a load there, he was no accepting at that time. I'll see if I can find the name and phone number tonight or tomorrow morning if I get done boiling too late tonight.
    For mine, I use old IBC totes, cut the top out, remove the top cross braces and then I cut the tubing into 2-3' pieces. I am going to try putting it thru my chipper next time, just to get more in. Then when I haul it in, I just put two totes in the back of the truck, throw a few coils in around them and haul them down.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Thanks Dave

While I will not use all I am getting rid of. I am making a drip irrigation system for the garden with old drops.

Dave, did you find that the tubing went through a chipper decent. I have 600 taps to take down and will not leave it in the woods. There is no recycle program in N H for maple tubing
    30x8 Leader revolution, wood fired blower, steamaway/hood. 903 taps all but 54 on pipeline and 3 vacuum systems. Hauling sap this year with a 99 F350 7.3 diesel dump and of course back up is the Honda 450 and trailer.

I won't have time to try it until this summer. Right now I still boiling and packing syrup, then pull taps, then my cancer surgery which will require me to take 6-7 weeks off, then some work in my 4.5 acres of blueberries and a trip to Alaska. It will likely be in July or August before I get to remove a weight box from my tractor and mount the chipper to try it on tubing.
    However I think it will work because grapevines, even the small ends do pretty well, with a few pieces coming out a little long but not very many. I'm thinking I'll try it on a cooler, maybe rainy day so the tubing is not as soft and I think I'll adjust the knife clearance to be closer to the bed plate.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Here's an article about someone turning waste agricultural plastic into diesel fuel in Groveton NH. I don't know much more than the article says.
    http://www.nhfrontpage.com/Articles-...sel-plant.html
    http://www.northfamilyfarm.com

Tim
    2,500 taps on two pipelines
    Busch Vacuum Pump
    MES Three Phase Three Post RO
    2X10 Leader Vortex Max Flue pan, Enhanced Steamaway
    Electricity made with wind and solar

+ Reply to Thread