+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sureflo + tubing question

Default Sureflo + tubing question

I am going to give it a try with a sureflo 2088 pump and 5/16 tubing. My question(s) are 1) I am using 5/16 as a mainline, should I be using 3/16 laterals? 2) can I get by without lateral in general and just run 5/16 from tree to tree and put it my drops along the way? 3) how many taps can I put in each main line of 5/16 without laterals. I have more but let's start there. Thanks everyone in advance. FYI this is all flat land.

When I had a Shurflo setup, I used 5/16 tubing and I had lines that were up to 100' long. I think the 3/16 would be too small. I would just run the 5/16 from tree to tree and add the drop lines in like you said.
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch
    Semi complete 12'x24' sugarhouse in Somers, CT
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/CapturedNature
    My eBook: Making Maple Syrup in your Backyard

Ok sounds good, how many taps were you running on the 100ft line? Thank you for your input.

I use 3/16 on my lines with a surflo and runs of up to 500 feet and they work very well. You need to keep your lines to 30 taps or less but you do not need to worry about proper slope as much as you do with 5/16.

I have run 3/16 for several hundred feet on a shuflo with great results. I am running a 3/16 with 5/16 drops this year with a little better results so far but won't know untill the season is up. I have also run a shurflo on 5/16 with great success. The key to these is zero leaks and they need to be checked often. I can tell by the sap coming out of the pump!p if there are leaks. If the sap spits out of the line into the tank it is probably getting air from a leak. A tight system will give you a stream of sap with pauses here and there. Jeff
    2021 230 Taps on vacuum
    Smokylake 2X6 pan set with auto drawoff
    Homebuilt 2 4x40 membrane RO
    Homebuilt filter press
    Rebuilt arch with under and over the fire air we have named V 2.0
    Smokylake steam bottler
    Hoods and preheater
    500 gallon vertical polytank to store sap for RO
    Adding a laser eye to my bottler for autofill/stop

If you are using 5/16 as a mainline, you should use 5/16 drops so you can use standard tees. No benefit to using a 3/16 drop. You need to be more careful about pitch and sag if using 5/16 to avoid pump surging. 3/16 is a little more forgiving if you can limit the number of taps per line to 30-40.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by 1-GEN-SAPPER View Post
    I am going to give it a try with a sureflo 2088 pump and 5/16 tubing. My question(s) are 1) I am using 5/16 as a mainline, should I be using 3/16 laterals? 2) can I get by without lateral in general and just run 5/16 from tree to tree and put it my drops along the way? 3) how many taps can I put in each main line of 5/16 without laterals. I have more but let's start there. Thanks everyone in advance. FYI this is all flat land.
    Mountain Maple farm
    2022 NAMSC award winning dark amber syrup
    2023: 320 taps, 70% red maples. Mountain Maple S4 diaphragm pump controller with automated sap transfer and text messaging
    https://www.mountainmaplefarm.com
    https://www.facebook.com/MountainMapleFarm/

Thanks everyone I am going to put everything in the next couple of days and see how it goes. May your sap be overflowing!!

[QUOTE=Biz;346831]If you are using 5/16 as a mainline, you should use 5/16 drops so you can use standard tees. No benefit to using a 3/16 drop. You need to be more careful about pitch and sag if using 5/16 to avoid pump surging. 3/16 is a little more forgiving if you can limit the number of taps per line to 30-40.

Dave[/QUOTE

I am contemplating 5/16" on a Shuflo but keep seeing posts about overloading it? Can I zig zag mains from tree to tree (20 taps +/-) then into the pump or is it better to use 5/16" laterals with 5-7 taps per and then into a 5/16" main? Also, if running an in tank recirculator, will that overcome the pitch / sag concerns?

TIA
    Last edited by Austin351; 03-05-2018 at 11:45 AM.

I would stick with all 3/16 unless you have 30-40 or more taps. Then split them up if more than that and run multiple lines. You can zig zag between trees no problem.

Dave
    Mountain Maple farm
    2022 NAMSC award winning dark amber syrup
    2023: 320 taps, 70% red maples. Mountain Maple S4 diaphragm pump controller with automated sap transfer and text messaging
    https://www.mountainmaplefarm.com
    https://www.facebook.com/MountainMapleFarm/

[QUOTE=Austin351;348097]
    Quote Originally Posted by Biz View Post
    If you are using 5/16 as a mainline, you should use 5/16 drops so you can use standard tees. No benefit to using a 3/16 drop. You need to be more careful about pitch and sag if using 5/16 to avoid pump surging. 3/16 is a little more forgiving if you can limit the number of taps per line to 30-40.

Dave[/QUOTE

I am contemplating 5/16" on a Shuflo but keep seeing posts about overloading it? Can I zig zag mains from tree to tree (20 taps +/-) then into the pump or is it better to use 5/16" laterals with 5-7 taps per and then into a 5/16" main? Also, if running an in tank recirculator, will that overcome the pitch / sag concerns?

TIA
    3/16 fills the line and then the vacuum sucks out. Uphill, downhill, whatever. 5/16 doesn't fill a line. It runs along the bottom. As such, it doesn't want to go uphill. The recirculation setup won't help with a sagging 5/16 line. 3/16 has advantages and disadvantages, but forgiveness with slope is a huge advantage. If you have a vacuum pump, you could run the stuff right on the ground if your want to. Or up over trails. Can't do that with 5/16 unless it's down hill the whole way.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

+ Reply to Thread