+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AiriBlo maintenance 3/4 HP question

Default AiriBlo maintenance 3/4 HP question

Hello all:
    I hope that you are all off to a good start. I have added an Airiblo vacuum system this year, replacing my old lab vacuum “system”.
    I run 400 taps on 2 main lines of 1”. I have walked them several time and feel that they are tight.
    Im not thrilled with my vacuum. I pull 25” at the releaser with the mainlines shut off. I pull 23 on each line on its own but, 16 with both lines open.
    I feel that we are past the ice in the lines stage at this point.
    The instructions/manual on the vacuum is pretty weak.
    So finally my question:
    There is a site tube that is half filled with oil. Someone told me that I should draw that off between uses. Is this true? Where do I put the oil back in?
    Thanks in advance for the help.
    Chuck
    425 trees on Vacuum
    Airiblo 3/4
    100 buckets
    Lapierre Mechanical releaser
    L3700 SU

Not sure about your pump question, but you have leaks somewhere.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

You definitely have some leaks somewhere. That being said, I have the same pump on a very similar set up, and I pull 26+ pretty consistently. Perhaps one difference is that my pump has a oil cooler radiator, but maybe yours is set up with one also. I run mine with the vacuum regulator removed. The oil will collect moisture, and it will condensate in your oil reclaimer, which is the tall cylinder on your pump. Once a day I drain the water from the reclaimer. If the pump has shut off I drain it before I start it for the next day, if its still running, I just drain it out when I go to pump my sap. There should be a 3/4" ball valve on the bottom of the reclaimer, I take a gatorade bottle (or something with a wide mouth opening and a cover) hold it under the drain and crack it open. You should get a small amount of water before it starts draining oil. As soon as the oil starts coming, close the valve and your good to go for another day. There should be some markings on the sight tube for regular operating level, just keep an eye on that and add oil when it gets low. On the side of the reclaimer there is a pipe elbow with a plug in it (I believe its 3/4") - that is where the new oil goes in. I threaded a long nipple into mine and put a 3/4" to 1 1/2" coupler on the top with a 1 1/2" plug in it. The coupler acts as a sort of funnel to give you a bigger hole to hit with the oil. Hope this helps. Good luck finding those leaks.
    -JoeKing

Thank you both for the replies. I slid home early and walked my lines in daylight. I worked my valves to determine my leaks were in two areas. One area had a hanging drop line and a chewed drop line. The other issue was where my lateral passes through a few small Hemlocks. I found that deer had chewed the line flat in a few places.
    I managed to collect 250 gallons of 1.6 before I fixed the lines. Vacuum up to 24”.
    Moose: You explanation is excellent. I will add your routine to mine. I also have the oil cooler. The new pump has eliminated the headaches of my old Frankinvacuum!
    Thanks again!
    Last edited by woodchuck; 02-20-2018 at 08:13 PM.
    425 trees on Vacuum
    Airiblo 3/4
    100 buckets
    Lapierre Mechanical releaser
    L3700 SU

+ Reply to Thread