+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question about bricking ...

Default Question about bricking ...

Just purchased a leader wise 2x6. I was given full bricks for evaporator and purchased the 1" insulation board from bascom. Is this overkill for insulation? Manual says to used half bricks. Wasn't sure if it mattered or not. Also what's the best way people have found to cut the insulation board? Doesn't look like a utility knife would work that well. Thanks a lot I do appreciate the help!!!

A good serrated knife cuts it well. While half bricks would work full bricks are fine too. Putting the 1" insulation behind the bricks helps keep the heat under the pans rather than losing it thru the sides. More heat to the pans is good.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

A circular saw with either the blade on backwards ( so the dull side does the cutting) or a masonry or carbon blade for cutting steel on the circular saw will work in a pinch. I cut all mine on a table saw with the blade on backwards. Pretty dusty so wear a mask.
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

A well insulated arch pays off 17 years down the road when it still looks brand new. Little to no heat loss means no rust especially if you have a galvanized arch. My arch has 1 inch ceramic board and full brick. Has no rust.
    30x8 Leader revolution, wood fired blower, steamaway/hood. 903 taps all but 54 on pipeline and 3 vacuum systems. Hauling sap this year with a 99 F350 7.3 diesel dump and of course back up is the Honda 450 and trailer.

Awesome! I was worried it would make the firebox too small but glad i asked! Thanks again for the help!!

You will want to use half brick for the top course so the heat gets to the outer reaches of the pans better.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread