+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pulling and plugging budded drops from 3/16 lateral without losing vacuum

Default Pulling and plugging budded drops from 3/16 lateral without losing vacuum

hi everyone - i have several 3/16 laterals on natural vacuum with ~25 taps per tree (800ft length, 30 ft vertical drop from last tap to tank). My laterals are mostly sugars but do have some reds mixed in. it's about that time of the season when the reds begin to bud but i should have another few weeks before the sugars bud. as i start to pull the reds from the laterals, how should i plug the pulled drop lines to maintain natural vacuum on the lateral line? My initial thoughts are to use a CDL end-hook to plug the drop line. The plug has barbs to form a seal and only costs $.20 per hook. do you think that is the easiest way? i assume that simply sticking the tap/dropline back into the tee plug will not form enough of a seal to maintain vacuum - is that correct? thanks for the help.

colt

I think the T will do exactly that. Stuff them in good and I'm sure they'll hold vacuum.
    1980 - 6 taps, stone fire pit, drain pan evaporator, 1 pint of syrup
    2016 - 55 taps on 3/16 and gravity, new sugar shack, 2x3 Mason XL, 16 gallons of syrup
    2017 - 170 taps on 3/16, 2x4 Mason XL, NextGen RO. 50 gallons of syrup
    2018 - 250+ taps on gravity and buckets, 2x5 Smokey Lake arch and Beaverland pan.
    2019 - 250+ taps on gravity. A few buckets. 35 gallons of syrup.
    2020 - 300+ taps on gravity. 50 gallons of syrup.
    2021 - 280 taps on gravity and 40 buckets. 35 gallons of syrup.

I use the CDL signature 3/16 clear seasonal spouts and I'm about 20% reds and pulled all of them out a couple weeks ago due to them budding a month earlier than normal. The spouts seal good in the cups. In push them in hard and twist them to get them to seal good. Very little issues with loss of vac. I have 200 of the white maxflow spouts and they seal off decently but not as well as the polycarbonate signature spouts.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

thanks. i have leader T's and CDL white max flow spouts. do you think i am better off cutting the spout and plugging the drop line tubing directly to the T?

I have the CDL "health tee with cup and matching white spouts. I have not yet had to pull and plug, but hoping that the cups seal enough. If not I figured some of the orange disposable foam ear plugs should do the trick.
    2017- 80 taps on 3/16 natural experimenting with Sap Sucking options
    The original Homemade XLE 4040 RO http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...RO-suggestions on a dolly
    7" short stack filter press w/air diaphragm pump

Quote Originally Posted by Suckmytap View Post
    thanks. i have leader T's and CDL white max flow spouts. do you think i am better off cutting the spout and plugging the drop line tubing directly to the T?
    If you don't plan to reuse the spile, it would probably be better to cut it off now and plug the line into the tee. The tees seem to grip tubing better than spiles.
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

2019 -- 44 Red Maples - My home and sugarbush are for sale.
    2018 -- 48 Red Maples, 7 gallons
    2017 -- 84 Red Maples, 1 Sugar Maple, and 1 Silver Maple , 13 gallons
    2016 -- 55 Red Maples, 8 gallons
    2015 -- 15 Red Maples, 6 Birches - 3+ gallons maple syrup
    An awning over my deck is my sugar shack.
    An electrified kitchen sink and an electrified steam table pan are my evaporators.

If you are using cup tees the spouts should fit right in and seal without leaking. I use Leader cv2's and Leader cup tees with good results. If the tap and the tee are the same diameter you shouldn't have a problem.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by Suckmytap View Post
    hi everyone - i have several 3/16 laterals on natural vacuum with ~25 taps per tree (800ft length, 30 ft vertical drop from last tap to tank). My laterals are mostly sugars but do have some reds mixed in. it's about that time of the season when the reds begin to bud but i should have another few weeks before the sugars bud. as i start to pull the reds from the laterals, how should i plug the pulled drop lines to maintain natural vacuum on the lateral line? My initial thoughts are to use a CDL end-hook to plug the drop line. The plug has barbs to form a seal and only costs $.20 per hook. do you think that is the easiest way? i assume that simply sticking the tap/dropline back into the tee plug will not form enough of a seal to maintain vacuum - is that correct? thanks for the help.

colt
    25 taps per tree? I know; I know. I'm the editing officer.

~25 taps per lateral not tree.....thanks for the advice everyone. sounds like i will just be cutting off the spile and plugging the drop line back into the T

+ Reply to Thread