+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Spring Harvest 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Amber Gold View Post
    So, I've got a question. The grade's back up to a dark, robust (barely), but it tastes like very dark, strong. Any issues w/ calling it very dark? This seems like one of those times when I judgment call's in order to tell your customer what they're really buying.
    Josh check here, I asked that same question yesterday. http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...grading-system
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Thanks Russ. Just what I was looking for.

Yesterday, hauled in the last load of sap...it soured and stunk. Boiled it off and was able to make some good syrup at first before the bad stuff came through. Lightest syrup of the year too. Still need to finish compiling the seasons numbers, so those will follow. The meter's reading 27k gal of sap, so based on that, it's a good season. Syrup total not known, but sugar wasn't there this year. If you'd asked me mid-March if we'd make it till April, I would've said no way, and we did...barely.

Already thinking ahead to next year.

I think you will be happy with the total gallons of syrup made. I came in at 1 qt per tap and I stopped last Sunday. I could have made more if I had the time to acid wash the RO and get the flow rates back. This is the first year in recent times that I didn't make any commercial syrup too.

In early March I was thinking that I would be done before Maple Weekend. I had sap, although some of it soured, to boil all of Maple Weekend and had the best week of the season with the buckets the week after Maple Weekend.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567