+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Western Wisconsin

Ryan, I don't think a 4 x14 is too big! Seldom do I boil every 24 hours, in other words it gets to be 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 days of run time per boiling session. It just works out that way because of the length of time to collect and days where sap doesn't start running til later afternoon. Throw working out and a one man operation and thats how it is.

Slept a good 12 hours, was hoping it would have stayed froze up today. Needless to say I am getting bushed. After today, I will be at 1/2 gallon syrup per tap, so that is good, but there is alot of dark syrup this year. Was hoping to get some more light stuff, but its just going to get too warm even with the snow.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

Well, I hope it's not too big, since I made the deal!!!

It's got stainless sides on the arch, a big ole stainless stack, mirror finished pans, the whole works. It's a raised flue with a cross flow front pan. Mark, the seller says that if he's really cooking, he can do 200 gph, which would be a big improvement from the 70 I get on my 2x10. Looks like I've got a LOT of work to do before next season.

Hopefully I'll be able to sell my current rig without any trouble. It's a good cooker, but with a baby now, I just can't cook for 12 hours a day. I did list it in the classifieds if anyone is interested.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

Ryan....my friend that brings over sap asked me for your number. He is interested in your 2x10, I'm thinking he'd like to come and see it in operation NOW this season. I'll get him your number today when he comes just so you know. The bear are awake, they hit the woods with the 3/16" sometime during the snow storm. Guess its time to bring a different tool along to the woods that will fix the problem. What a PITA to add to the mix this year!

I don't know 200 GPH on a stock 4x14 is kind of a stretch IMO. Depends how big the flue pan is. The most we ever got out of my 4x12 was 163 gph. If its a 10 footer then it may be possible. Preheater?
    Last edited by markcasper; 03-25-2016 at 01:52 AM.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

Ryan is that 4x14 forced air or natural draft?

Quote Originally Posted by dschultz View Post
    Ryan is that 4x14 forced air or natural draft?
    Hey Danny! Nice to hear from you. Hope your season is going well.

It's natural draft. Plain Jane all the way around.

Mark, pass my number along by all means. It's 715-222-3237. I'll be cooking all day today and probably also part of tomorrow. I'd be happy to have guests.

It is a 10' flue pan, but I agree 200 sounds a little high. I did notice that he was burning really fine spilt stuff. Almost as small as I burn in my 2x10, so that might make a difference. Even if I'm less than 200 for now, I could always add a preheater and a blower in the future if I find myself short on time again.

By the way, Danny, I got a quote on an intense ofire just for fun. Roth wants 27,000 for a 3x12!!!!!
    -Ryan

I have a 4x14 with an 801 Carlin burner and I'm getting a constant 200 gallons an hour. I also have a piggyback with a blower as well. Just my two cents.

Well, it sounds like I'll have to report back next year on evaporation rate. On that note, how are you guys measuring gph? Is there something you can install in the line to the float that can tell you?
    -Ryan

Ryan give me a call when you have time you have my number

Well, it ran pretty good Thursday after the snow storm. I went out Thursday night around midnight to shut off the Shurflo pump, and even though all the lines were frozen, most of the buckets were still running. It was about 28 degrees out, and had been below freezing for about 4 hours. Just shows you how hard it is to predict this stuff.

Ran real good again starting this morning, also. I cooked most of the day and made about a dozen gallons of syrup. It looks like I've got about 82-84 gallons made so far with enough sap to make at least 5 more gallons. Add the amount that's still in the evaporator, and it looks like 100 gallons is a pretty close estimate of where we'll be.

I'm really really looking forward to having most of the woods on vacuum next year. It'll be great to get a longer life from our tapholes, and hopefully make a bunch more syrup. Since 2013 (when we made .38 gallons per tap), our per tap average has been a little less than a quart per tap. If we approach .5 gallons per tap next year, that would be a huge improvement!

It'll be tough waiting a whole year to fire up the new cooker, but it sure will be nice not to have to go back out after dinner and cook all night.
    -Ryan

Busy collecting sap and helping put up wood for Mark. Tree's are still running like crazy on 3/16 line,should be at .5 gallon of syrup per tap today.Checked tanks this morning and have just under 800 gallons of sap over night since it didn't freeze last night.Congrats on your new rig Ryan.

Sap Hauler
    -1996 Ford F250
    -2003 Yamaha Grizzly 660
    2016 Year:About 925 Taps on 3/16
    2015 Year:About 775 Taps
    2014 Year:About 270 Taps
    2013 Year:About 265 Taps
    2012 Year:About 200 Taps
    2011 Year:About 200 Taps
    2010 Year:About 65 Taps

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast