+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2x6 evaporator draws, filtering & bottling?

Default 2x6 evaporator draws, filtering & bottling?

I am running a 2x6 leader drop flu evaporator and finishing on it. With a 2x6 you get small draws. Do I put all of the draws in one stainless pan until I have enough to bottle and then reheat 180-190 degrees, filter and bottle? Do I go ahead and filter small amounts as I get them off of the evaporator and then bring it up to 180-190 degrees later and bottle. For those that filter first and bring it back up to 180-190 are they re-filtering? I will be using a cone filter with pre-filters this year.

How do individuals that have large evaporators and large draws do it? Do they have enough to run it through a filter press to the bottler right away and bottle? Do they hold it, bring a large batch back up to temp., run it through the filter press and then bottle?

We draw right into the filter.
    When the pail beneath the filter gets full we transfer to 5 gallon totes provided the grade hasn’t changed. A tote for each grade.
    Back at the house we heat to 190, filter again, and pack in 1 gallon glass containers for a more permanent storage.

Packaging for retail size containers we reheat, filter, and bottle.

We use the cone filters at the shack, basket type filters at the house.

We filter every time we heat the syrup, which is every time it is moved.
    Half of our product gets sold in glass, want to see as little niter as possible.
    I’m paranoid when it comes to bottling plastic…no floaties, no bugs, and be absolutely sure of it.

Should add that we always check, and adjust if necessary, the density before packing in the 1 gal or retail containers.
    Last edited by Tweegs; 02-26-2016 at 02:40 PM.
    42.67N 84.02W

350 taps- 300 on vacuum, 50 buckets
    JD gator 625i Sap hauler w/65 gal tank
    Leader 2X6 drop flue

Homemade auto draw-off
    Homemade preheater
    Homebrew RO, 2- xle-4040's
    LaPierre double vertical releaser
    Kinney KC-8 vacuum pump

12X24 shack
    Lots of chickens and a few cats.

Either way will work.
    We always filtered when syrup was hot from the evaporator.
    Then reheat to 180 F later to can.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarmaker View Post
    Either way will work.
    We always filtered when syrup was hot from the evaporator.
    Then reheat to 180 F later to can.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Chris, Are you re-filtering when you can?

I draw-off through a prefilter clamped right onto the spigot. When it clogs, I lift the bottom point of the filter and clothespin it up to the top to get the last syrup through.

I find that filtering at 190 is harder than at 219. I like to get my sugar content right (add some sap, usually) and get it up to a good boil (careful it doesn't boil over - a thermometer with alarm is helpful for multi-tankers) before final filter and bottle at 180-190.

Late in the season there's more niter, so I forego the draw-off filtering and decant after a day or two of settling off and save the sludge off to the side to get the bulk through filters easily. I'll eventually filter the sludge, but might combine it with another batch or two before the battle.

Finally, I dip the bottoms of those used filters back into the hot sap pan to recycle all that sugar.
    Last edited by CampHamp; 02-26-2016 at 04:08 PM.
    Jamie Jones
    2017 - 120 taps, 68G syrup - automated pumping from collection to head tank
    2016 - 118 taps (about half on 3/16"), 60G syrup
    2015 - 115 taps, 58G syrup - new wireless blower switch and remote pump switch from tank to shack
    2014 - 120 taps, 53G syrup - hobby vac
    2013 - 120 taps, 40G syrup - Sunrise Metal 2x6, 12x14 sugarhouse
    2012 - 44 taps, 6G syrup -gravity tube, 4 steam pans on block arch, plastic greenhouse shack - (I'm hooked!)

With a 2x4, now a 2x6, I found that trying to filter during the small draws was just too much trouble. You can't keep the filter warm, and are you sure of the density when you draw those small amounts? Eventually I learned to just draw into a pot. At the end of the day the pot with maybe 5 gallons goes to the house and sits overnight to settle. Next day the syrup is poured off the dregs (which settle again), the density is balanced, then reheated to 200 and filtered in a press and bottled from a canner into glass. Find what works for you. I got the press because I couldn't face pouring 5 gallons of hot syrup through a cone on the kitchen floor. Life is much better now.
    Last edited by maple marc; 02-26-2016 at 08:02 PM. Reason: typo
    Central Ohio
    Leader WSE 2x6
    Old metal corn crib converted to "The Shack"
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacket canner
    Daryl 5" filter press with air pump
    Deer Run 125 RO

2023: 140 taps, buckets, 32 gallons
    2019: 100 taps, buckets, 45 gallons
    2018: 100 taps, buckets, 31 gallons
    2017: 100 taps, buckets, 15 gallons
    2015: 100 taps, buckets, 34 gallons
    2014: 100 taps, buckets, 30 gallons
    2013: 100 taps, buckets, 52 gallons

We use a Leader WSE 2X6. We used to batch boil...hit syrup (or near syrup) and draw off through a cone filter. Then we would finish it on propane on the side using a thermometer and hydrometer. Then we filtered again through cone filters.

A few years back we picked up a filter press. We did the same as above and then filter pressed at the end of the season when bottling.

Now we draw off consistently. The first year we used cone filters. Last year it went straight into a 5 gallon drum without a filter. Then everything was run through a filter press at the end of the year. I think this year we will likely use a smaller quantity of cone filters, just to get the majority of the stuff filtered.

With the constant draw we usually can maintain a pencil sized flow of sap with a very few temperature swings. We reduce the draw off when re-fueling and sometimes have to open it a little more to catch up. We also have a RO and concentrate to about 7-8%.

Mike
    Tapping since 1985 (four generations back to early to mid 1900s). 200-250 taps on buckets and then tubing in the mid 90s. 2013- 275 taps w/sap puller 25 gal. 2014-295 taps w/sap puller 55 ga. (re-tapped to vacuum theory) 2015-330 taps full vac. 65 gal, 2016-400 taps 105 gal, 2017-400 taps 95 gal. 2018-additional 800' mainline and maybe 400 new taps for a total near 800 taps. 2x6 Leader WSE (last year on it) supported by a 250 gph RO.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallinipper View Post
    Chris, Are you re-filtering when you can?
    I put a double layer of cheese cloth over the end of the nozzle where we can the finished syrup. This can catch something that may have entered the syrup prior to bottling.
    This cheese cloth also makes the syrup come out in a nice stream/flow into the jugs!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

What is minimum sap depth that you can have on a 20" by 6" deep by 4' long Evaporator pan?( wood fired 55 gallon drum with 6" flue) it has 2" ceramic blanket on bottom and sides and fire bricks in lower portion. I also added an old fire place wood grate ontop of lower firebricks to give better air flow for burning.i insulated it to not burn my whole woodpile up!!!i hope!thanks for insite in advance guys.

As low as you feel comfortable going.
    first year 2012 50 taps late season made 2 1/2 gals.

2013 2x6 homemade arch 180 taps. 20 Gals.

2014 40 on 3/16 gravity 160 on buckets.

http://omasranch.wix.com/omasmaple

+ Reply to Thread