+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sap ladders

Default Sap ladders

Where, when and how is the best way to introduce air into the line for a ladder that is 4-5 foot?

I know that there are others that will disagree with me but there is no need to introduce a leak for your ladder to perform well and get good vacuum transfer. Keep it simple

Quote Originally Posted by Thompson's Tree Farm View Post
    I know that there are others that will disagree with me but there is no need to introduce a leak for your ladder to perform well and get good vacuum transfer. Keep it simple
    100% completely agree with this comment.

now the other guy that is going to reply is going to tell you the complete opposite, just to give fair warning
    Jake Moser
    Moser's Maple

2 beautiful little girls
    1 wife that's become her mother

www.facebook.com/mosersmaple

I have been using ladders for the better part of 20 years---never needed to introduce a leak to any of them.
    2 1/2 x8 Lapierre Waterloo-Small (oil fired)
    Leader Steamaway
    1200 gph Lapierre RO
    1800 taps
    http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/j...ks/Sugarhouse/

Mike Christian
    505 Main St. Orwell, Vt.

Same here, only use my end of line valve for draining at end of season. I have a tight system and still get plenty of sap lifting.
    CDL 2x8
    Around 4000 taps
    Polaris ATVs, Ski Doo snowmobiles to get around
    Atlas Copco pumps
    Lapierre two post RO

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Sugar%20shack/

Thanks for the introduction Jake.

I totally agree that you will not need a leak added to your system if you plenty of leaks already. Sap rises in a ladder on a bubble of air quickest and will have less pooling in the feeder line as long as there is enough air or tree gases to clear the ladder. If the line pools this will limit vacuum transfer.

Now if your system is tight and you do not have enough air or tree gas in the line you add an injector. The distance from the ladder wants to be within in site so you can see the bubbles rising in the ladder and to see any pooling.

I do this adjustment at peak flow and then check it once or twice more during peak flow and then it is good for the season. Pretty simple.

Ben

Adding a leak to a sap ladder is like driving backwords down the highway. It is not needed nor recomended even on tubing systems that are tighter than fish anus. You can install a brand new system and have zero need for adding a leak. Not only do they perform better without a leaker but why would anyone go through the trouble of maintaining a tight system to only purposely introduce a leak. The way sap shoots up a ladder with a leaker is more an optical illusion than it is productive. Any doubt to this just close your leaker and count your releaser dumps in a hour then add a leak and count them again for an hour.

Tighter than fish anus...you learn something new everyday. Prepare to be schooled by the sap ladder expert.
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

He can try to school till his heart is content, what matters is what puts more sap in the tanks, the just count releaser dumps if theres any doubt.

Humm never know a person that was into checking out a fish that close before.

Efficency is what counts. vac at the end of the line is more important than at the releaser.

A pooled feeder is not an optic illusion...it is a vacuum transfer killer. Less vacuum past the pool is a reduction in production. You wont have anything to reach the releaser to count.

But that is only my experience in ladders over the last 40 years.

So I guess that you have discussed this with Leaders engineers also since they sell injectors.

So how many ladders do you have rusty?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast