+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: Started dripping in Northern NH

As expected, not much sap today; only 25 gallons, but between that and the left-over sap from last night, I managed to pull off 3 gallons. First grade B of the season. Total is 109 gallons so far, just one gallon shy of my average. May freeze tonite and tomorrow!
    2012: Probably 750 gravity taps and 50 buckets.

600 gal stainless milk tank.
    2 - 100 gallon stock tanks
    one 30 gal barrel
    50 buckets

3' x 10' Waterloo Raised Flue wood fired evaporator w/ open pans.

12" x 20" Filter Canner

Sawmill next to sugarhouse solves my sugarwood problem

Gather with GMC 3500 2wd Pickup w/ 425 gallon Plastic Tank.

Been tapping here in Lyman NH since 1989 but I've been sugaring since 8 years old in 1968.

Pulled most of my taps and did my final boil last night. Made 5.25 gallons yesterday for a season total of 13.25. A little less than I had hoped for with 88 taps but certainly enough to keep friends and family happy and make lots of candy and maple nuts. Time to clean-up, maybe I can get the wife to do that part....
    Pete Nightingale
    Lisbon, NH

3 Teenage sap haulers & Plenty of friends and family to restock the beer fridge
    2012 1 tap and a pot
    2013 10 taps, oil tank evap, 2 gallons of slightly too thin syrup
    2014 48 taps improved oil tank evap 3.5 gallons, ouch??
    2015 88 taps 78 5/16" and 10 3/16" nat vac 40"x 48" Homemade Arch 13.25 Gallons
    2016 100 taps 65 on 3/16 & 35 buckets 17 gallons + unknown amount of maple / Jack Daniels testers

I don't think it ran this morning much anyway. the buckets I just checked only have a teacup of sap in them.

EDIT 8 PM: Ended up collecting 50 gallons. boiled it but didn't take anything off.
    Last edited by PerryW; 04-15-2015 at 07:39 PM.

one 30 gal barrel
    50 buckets

12" x 20" Filter Canner

Been tapping here in Lyman NH since 1989 but I've been sugaring since 8 years old in 1968.

Quote Originally Posted by NhShaun View Post
    Totally understandable. Let me know when you are boiling some birch sap I'd like to check it out. You can tap white birch too? I thought it was only black.
    You can tap all the birches my reading is telling me, just that black and white will give you the highest sugar content.

Birch bleeds like crazy! Picked up 100gal yesterday and Tuesday on just 10 taps. I haven't got a chance to put out the other 10.
    Guns n' Hose Sugarhouse
    Ian and Samanatha MacMillan
    Wakefield, NH

Facebook

2015 - 15 buckets, 2 bags and 5 on 5/16 gravity. Made about 1 gal of maple and a whole lotta learning points. Currently working on birch and building the sugarhouse.

picked up 150 gallons of sap. Most of the buckets and colder trees ran well with nice clear sap. My larger lower elevation bush hardly ran and the sap was cloudy. Will boil in the AM.

one 30 gal barrel
    50 buckets

12" x 20" Filter Canner

Hey Perry...hows your season going down there? Haven't signed on here in awhile. I'm about wrapped up here in Berlin. Picked up somewhere around 100 gallons today of some pretty scary looking sap. Still debating if i want to waste wood on it or not...Got all the good stuff out of the pan last night. Looking like a below average season up here.
    http://Www.patryssugarhouse.com
    http://www.facebook.com/PatrysSugarhouse

2x6 WSE Arch- Custom AOF/AUF with Smoky Lake HO SSR Drop Flue Pan Set
    Smoky Lake Flat Filter Finisher
    Leader Single Cone Canner
    300ish taps for 2016

just finished the last boil with 6 gallons of nice tasting Grade B. ENded up w/ 115 gallons plus probably 2 left in the front pan after casing water through. Beat my 110 average in 3 weeks. short and sweet.

one 30 gal barrel
    50 buckets

12" x 20" Filter Canner

I'm glad that you had a good season too Perry. Mine turned out to be my 3rd best when it was the one with the worst start ever. I only boiled 4 times in the month of March which is unheard of in this part of the state. Last year I boiled 2 times in February and 5 times in March.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

yeah, funny that I am ending the season at approximately the same time as people in the southern part of the state. I was lucky that my main bush in Littleton is close to the Connecticut River and is fairly warm. I imagine that people with colder bushes than mine will have a poor season. Got a start on washing out the tubing and the evaporator is drained and filled with water and ready to clean. I'll hopefully get mostly cleaned up this weekend because I have a lot of survey/engineering work to do next week. I have jobs in laconia, groveton and wilmot that I need to do next week.

one 30 gal barrel
    50 buckets

12" x 20" Filter Canner

Well my season in Lancaster on Cabot Mt was only about 2 weeks this year I only got half my pails out do to snow depth and one of my gravity lines remained buried in snow until April. I only got 1 good boil this year and ended up with 15 gallons. My little frost pocket just didn't thaw out in time and when it warmed enough it stayed that way for a few days, and not my days off. The family (I have a very big family) will be very happy, not enough to sell so they will be getting most of it I don't use. If only they could/would, split wood or stack it or clean pails and pans and so on and so on. Might try turkey hunting a bunch have moved in, then fishing ,bees and tree's, until deer season, then its time to sugar again. Have a great summer folks, love reading how its going around the state.

Jay

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910