+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 3/16 tubing length and taps

I have set up about 625 on 3/16 this year and am very impressed. I have as many as about 40 taps on a few lines. Interesting to note that if there is a sizable leak the bottom taps will have pressure and will squirt sap out the tap when pulled out. When i fixed the leak the same taps that squirted out sap were then pulling vacuum. I am planning on setting up my whole operation on the 3/16 in the coming years. The slope does not have to be steep I have 35 on one line that is probably only on a 4 percent grade it would appear it siphons the sap out.
    I have set up an experiment as well and found that 35 taps on 3/16 running into a 5/16 line with an additional 25 taps will not get the taps on 5/16 running that well on marginal days but it will make them draw a little vacuum about 6 inches on good flows.It would appear that 55 taps running into a 5/16 does not fill the line with a solid enough column of sap to not let air back unless a very good flow is present.

Quote Originally Posted by log cabin luke View Post
    I have set up about 625 on 3/16 this year and am very impressed. I have as many as about 40 taps on a few lines. Interesting to note that if there is a sizable leak the bottom taps will have pressure and will squirt sap out the tap when pulled out. When i fixed the leak the same taps that squirted out sap were then pulling vacuum. I am planning on setting up my whole operation on the 3/16 in the coming years. The slope does not have to be steep I have 35 on one line that is probably only on a 4 percent grade it would appear it siphons the sap out.
    I have set up an experiment as well and found that 35 taps on 3/16 running into a 5/16 line with an additional 25 taps will not get the taps on 5/16 running that well on marginal days but it will make them draw a little vacuum about 6 inches on good flows.It would appear that 55 taps running into a 5/16 does not fill the line with a solid enough column of sap to not let air back unless a very good flow is present.
    Did you run it only with a tee @ bottom of tree and then straight to a mainline? Or did you tee or y them? Thanks
    2010-1st year,30 taps on buckets ,concrete block and 4 stainless pans

I did not tee or y them. I usually would have but seeings how it was my first set up with the 3/16 I tried to do every thing as described by Timothy Wilmot.

I don't know if any of you have seen this, but here is Timothy Wilmot's piece on 3/16th that Log Cabin Luke mentioned.

http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc/3-16%20Tubi...ec%202014a.pdf

I don't have any 3/16 myself but am quite curious about setting up an installation. Very interesting to see the different ways people have converted 5/16th tools so that they can be used for 3/16th. Can anyone tell me the price of a 3/16 straight fitting (for connecting two lengths of tubing) or the price for a 3/16 T fitting? Thanks

I pay .27 per fitting... coupling or "T". I buy them direct from the manufacture.

So that's a little cheaper than the 5/16 fittings. And are the spouts you use also 3/16? Or is there a 5/16 drop that connects into the 3/16 line? I'd be curious to see pictures of 3/16 setups, particularly how they are secured at the end into a dump tank or whatever one uses.

Quote Originally Posted by WestfordSugarworks View Post
    So that's a little cheaper than the 5/16 fittings. And are the spouts you use also 3/16? Or is there a 5/16 drop that connects into the 3/16 line? I'd be curious to see pictures of 3/16 setups, particularly how they are secured at the end into a dump tank or whatever one uses.
    We use the 5/16 X 3/16 taps from D & G.
    image.jpg
    Cut off the bottom of a square plastic bucket. (The cap from the cage tank is just sitting on top).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123