+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Value-Added Products

Smile Value-Added Products

Hi, everybody! I'm new to this forum, but I'm hoping that all you experienced maple producers can help me out. My name is Ashley and I live in central Wyoming. I am originally from New Hampshire (and have also lived in Massachusetts and Vermont), and I sure do miss maple sugaring! I am in the process of writing business plans and financially preparing to start my own small-scale agricultural enterprise, and I'm entertaining the idea of adding value-added maple products. My idea is to purchase bulk maple syrup from a reputable farmer in order to make maple cream, sugar, and candy. I know that I really need to work on the number side of things to see if this would even be possible as an addition to my business venture, but do any of you have any comments that would help me to decide whether this may be a good or bad idea? (Originally my idea was to buy sap from a producer and build a sugar shack for Westerners to tour and get a feel of at least the production process of maple sugaring, but right now that's simply too much for me to take on.) Thanks in advance for any comments/opinions!

have you priced syrup, the shipping, the cost of a candy/cream machine. Then price the possible return on your money. May not bring in the big bucks you hope for but it may bring people in to buy other things. Might also price bulk candy and repack in smaller containers with your logo. Then you need to look at WY food laws. It's a good thing your young it may take awile to get all this tograther
    20 plus years of 2 by 2 flat pan
    2014 new Phaneuf 2 by 6 drop flue
    350 taps on gravity 20 on bucket

Thanks for your response! I'll start with your suggestions and go from there!

Another thing you may want to research is the marketing aspect of the value added products. Do people know what they are? Would they purchase with out knowing. I feel that even in the maple belt I'm suprised when somoene has no idea what maple cream is or even maple candy. Seems that syrup is well known but not all of the other products. So you may want to get a feel for whether you can sell them be fore investing in the equipment.
    It may be that all you need to do is education first
    Keith

Thanks, Keith! This is certainly a fantastic suggestion, and I agree that I should do this before purchasing any equipment or maple-related products. Thanks for your help!

One silly suggestion I heard one time on here, that may not be so silly after all. You said about buying sap and boiling for the "sugar house effect" You don't need sap. Just dilute a gallon of syrup in 40 gallons of water and boil away!
    One good thing I see about your plan, you'll have the market cornered..

You anywhere close to Lovel?
    first year 2012 50 taps late season made 2 1/2 gals.

2013 2x6 homemade arch 180 taps. 20 Gals.

2014 40 on 3/16 gravity 160 on buckets.

http://omasranch.wix.com/omasmaple

Ashley - are connected with NOLS? my wife and worked for NOLS out of Lander in the mid 90s.

as for value added products, we tried candy (maple leaf granulated sugar in molds) and found it too time consuming for the rate of return. we traded it in for a cream machine and have never questioned our decision.

have you looked at some of the urban trees like over near City PArk? there might be some silver maples you could tap? that would be great publicity.
    Eric Johnson
    Tucker Mountain Maple Co-op
    1400 taps in 2013
    2.5 x 8 CDL pellet arch and Smokey Lake pans
    Lapierre 600 RO
    Member of Andover/Salisbury Maplehaulics anonymous
    www.tuckermtn.com
    pALS

Smile

That "sugar house effect" scenario you mentioned made me laugh out loud with your idea of diluting syrup in sap and boiling it -- but it sounds brilliant! Thanks for the idea! (Lovell is about 3.5 hours northeast of Lander.)

I hadn't thought about the possibility of Silver Maples being around Lander -- I'll check out City Park, Dillon, and others throughout the area. Thanks for that idea! I actually moved out to Lander to attend a new college (Wyoming Catholic College) back in 2008; as part of the curriculum, the first 3 weeks at the school are spent on a 3-week backpacking the trip in the Winds. (It was awesome!) Thanks for letting me know your take on the time-consumption involved in candy-making. Your reminder of NOLS being in town just inspired the idea of possibly selling maple products to their Gulch!

Thanks, everybody, for your responses! I really do appreciate all of the help!

Ashley
    Last edited by Damiana; 02-22-2015 at 12:27 PM.

+ Reply to Thread