+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vacuum Pump and Filter Press

Default Vacuum Pump and Filter Press

Just curious if anyone has ever tried using a vacuum pump to pull syrup through a filter press. I'm guessing you need to push it through but I was curious.

I'd like to see the releaser for that.

Never work. You need at least 20 PSI and at least 40, maybe more at the high end, a total vacuum can not get more than 14.7 PSI on an air pressure of 29.92" HG. The next point is that you don't have a pump capable of a total vacuum either.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

lpakiz Guest

I think that one inch HG is equal to 2 psi. So if you built a tee up out of a beer barrel, with the side leg pulling syrup from the press and vacuum pulling out the top, syrup would enter the tee and fall down into the barrel. This tee would have to be of sufficient diameter to allow the syrup and air flow to bypass each other, but there wouldn't be all that much flow.
    Seems with 25 HG you would be generating 50 psi "push" on the syrup.
    I suppose you could tell when the barrel was full by keeping track of how much syrup you sent into the press. OK, tell me what I'm missing here.

This sounds like a challenge to me. I will see what I can come up with over the weekend or this coming week.

The releaser would be rather easy as it could be setup to fill the drum thru one of the old keg taps used in reverse. The pressure port would be the vacuum line and the beer line would be from the press.

This could have some real promise in bottling with a few tweaks.

Great idea beltechc!

+ Reply to Thread