+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Line leaving the vacuum pump?

Default Line leaving the vacuum pump?

I have what I believe to be a Baldor vacuum pump I purchased over the winter. I am brand new to the vacuum world and have questions. The pump was set up for maple and has a series of fittings that end with a 1" barb fitting. My releaser has a 1.5" port where the vacuum line will hook up. Am I correct in thinking that I should go to 1.5" PVC as soon a possible from the pump?

1.5 should be OK. Realize that the smaller the vacuum line the more vac you lose to line loss (friction). This is much more critical with vacuum than with air pressure. The differential between the vac level at the pump and atmospheric pressure is not that great, thus you lose faster. The line leaving the pump, is the 1" connected to a 1" port or is there a bushing from a larger size? If the latter, remove the bushing and install the full size, then match that size or go 1 size bigger out.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by Ball Brook Maple View Post
    I have what I believe to be a Baldor vacuum pump I purchased over the winter. I am brand new to the vacuum world and have questions. The pump was set up for maple and has a series of fittings that end with a 1" barb fitting. My releaser has a 1.5" port where the vacuum line will hook up. Am I correct in thinking that I should go to 1.5" PVC as soon a possible from the pump?
    Yes you are right in going to 1.5 or larger as soon as possible. If not you will cut your CFMs in half before the vacuum reaches the first tree. My pump has a 2 inch outlet but I run a 3 inch pvc to the moisture trap and then to the releaser.

Spud

BBM you're just over the line from me.

Spud is right in changing to as large of a line as a 3". This will be very beneficial if you are not using an electric releaser. The 3" will act as a balance tank for when the releaser cycles to pull sap from the manifold. At this time the releaser is at 0" of vac and needs to be brought to your mean vac level asap. Otherwise you have a reduction of vacuum to the lines and a slow to even a back flow of sap in the mains.

I am in the middle to a sugar house remodel and the new transfer line from the pump to the water trap is a 2" galvanized line. The water trap is a 6 gallon stainless trap that is the balance tank...no need for the 3" line for the less than 5' of 2". I am running to the second floor to the pump and the metal will also act as a heat exchanger for the pump. I like to keep my pump no hotter than 180 so that any moisture vapor still in the line will get evaporated out to the oil reclaimer and settle to the water trip within the reclaimer.

Feel free to send me a PM by clicking on my name in green and I will give you directions and we can talk. I will like to come and see this pump. Never had the chance to tear one down and rebuild it yet. I do mostly Delaval and Surge pumps, but bought a masport 2" to do when the sugar season is over.

How far from the pump to the releaser, and what size check and trap are you installing?

Ben

Any clue what size the pump is? (CFM or even HP motor) I'm not familiar with that pump. If it is under 20 CFM you will be fine with 1.5", if under 10 CFM even 1.25". But whatever it is you are actually ahead with a bigger pipe from the pump to the releaser, and then don't choke it by using mains that are too small. I used to use 3/4" mains up to 85-90 taps and about 600', Ive since started using nothing under 1" and I get much better vac out to the end. All the pump in the world won't make up for undersized lines.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    Any clue what size the pump is? (CFM or even HP motor) I'm not familiar with that pump. If it is under 20 CFM you will be fine with 1.5", if under 10 CFM even 1.25". But whatever it is you are actually ahead with a bigger pipe from the pump to the releaser, and then don't choke it by using mains that are too small. I used to use 3/4" mains up to 85-90 taps and about 600', Ive since started using nothing under 1" and I get much better vac out to the end. All the pump in the world won't make up for undersized lines.
    I apologize for the lack of info but the pump is in my shop. I believe the pump is 2 HP. I plan on using this for 450 taps and hopefully achieve high vacuum. As I mentioned before this is my first try with vacuum. The lines are all brand new, the mains are 1" with 3/4 spur lines. I also ran a 3/4 dry line above the 1" to get to the back of the bush but over all distance does not exceed 900' from the releaser to the farthest point away. I guess to sum it up for only 450 taps I have three lines coming into the releaser manifold. I am also using a brand new double vertical releaser that's mechanical. I do have some pictures of the pump but I'm not sure how to post them here? I could email them?
    Thanks for everyone's responses,
    Dave

The distance from the pump to the releaser is no more than 10'. The pump is 2HP and came from a dentist office I guess. The guy whom I bought it from used it last season said it worked good and I only have half the taps.

The moister trap is a contraption I purchased from bascom so when I got the releaser. It's Canadian but not sure of the brand. It's black and close to 3' long.

The releaser is a mechanical double vertical. I called them today because I am also trying to figure out exactly what to use for the 1.5" fitting that goes into the releaser from the pump. Its 1.5" with an oring. They said just any 1.5" PVC fitting with a bell will fit I guess. From what I can tell it also must have to move freely while attached so it can switch from barrel to barrel..... Hence the o ring I guess. Sorry to be speaking out loud just trying to figure it out in my head lol

I have pics of the pump just can't figure out how to post them yet
    Thanks again,
    Dave

Dave my email is bhffeed@msn.com
    A 2hp original motor should be up to the job. Did this pump come off a local farm.

Ben

+ Reply to Thread