+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Drive a Tank Truck or Fire Truck Tank this may save your life

Default Drive a Tank Truck or Fire Truck Tank this may save your life

NTTC/DOT

On November 11, 2012, Firefighter Mark Haudenschild II, 26, was killed when the water tanker he was driving overturned while he was responding to a brush fire near Fort Wayne, Ind. He left a wife and two young children. He was a volunteer with the Washington Township Volunteer Fire Department serving his community.

Over the past several years, too many firefighters have been killed or injured in water tanker/tender rollovers while responding to emergencies. National Tank Truck Carriers has produced a new version of the Cargo Tank Rollover Prevention Video it developed with the U.S. Department of Transportation to help educate water tanker drivers on the special characteristics of tank truck vehicles and the actions they can take to avoid rollovers.

“While this DVD was originally developed for commercial tank truck drivers, the principles of tank truck vehicle dynamics, road challenges, and safe driving practices it presents are equally applicable to water tankers used in emergency response,” said Jim Shaeffer, president of McKenzie Tank Lines, Tallahassee Fla., and chairman of National Tank Truck Carriers, Inc.

Fire Department water tanker rollovers are not a new phenomenon. The Department of Health and Human Services Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued a report on Firefighter Deaths from Tanker Truck Rollovers in 2001. That report said there had been 62 deaths from water tanker rollovers from 1977-1999. The report did not include the injuries. The ability to track media and other reports on such crashes today shows that they continue to be a real issue of concern. Firefighters continue to be killed and injured in these usually preventable crashes.

The original 20-minute video was produced by the U.S. DOT with input from National Tank Truck Carriers in 2010 following increased industry and government concerns about the number of tank truck rollovers. It focuses on: Tank truck vehicle design; cargo/load factors; highway factors; and driver factors.

The video features real tank truck drivers who share their experiences, different types of tank truck equipment and detailed graphics, and various highway challenges. The video has been translated into French, Spanish and Japanese.

The video was based in part on information developed in 2007 in a detailed cargo tank rollover report prepared for the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration by Battelle. Among information in that report was that over 75%t of rollovers are caused by a driver’s action or inaction, the majority of rollovers are single vehicle crashes that occur on straight dry roadways (not exit ramps as is often thought,) and that about one-quarter of tanker rollovers involve straight trucks where the tank sits on the truck body.

The DVD is free for downloading at www.tanktruck.org.

A free copy of the DVD can be obtained for review and reproduction by contacting NTTC at 703-838-1960, by email to nttcstaff@tanktruck.org, or by mail to NTTC, 950 N. Glebe Rd., Arlington VA 22203. None of this material is copyright protected.

Thank you. I will download that to show the guys as I am training officer on our department
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Good add, CDL drivers need a tank endorsement unless hauling feed. Molasses is feed, but weighs 12#/ gallon...water 8#. Try hauling half a truck of molasses thru Torrington, Ct or Albany Ny.
    It always amazes me to see fellow tappers with a tank on a flat bed truck with one cargo strap on a 1000 gal tank on it, or the 500 leg tank in a pickup with no straps racing back to get wood in the evaporator.
    Great thread for every tapper that hauls sap in bulk. Thanks

Ben

Fire trucks in most states are exempt for CDL requirements due to being emergency vehicles. However all it is going to take is a fatal accident and slick lawyer to say that returning from a call or training it is not an emergency vehicle. Getting your CDL with a tank endorcement is cheep insurance to CYA!

Scott
    2014 125 taps 16 gallons
    2015 210 taps 49 gallons
    2016 164 taps 75 gallons new 2X6 leader max flue and homemade AOF/AUF arch
    2017 1500 taps 196 gallons RO added additions to building new tap lease
    2018 1588 taps 276 gallons
    upgrades for 2019 season 3 phase vacuum pump, stainless tank in woods, tubing replacement

Chicopee- I couldnt agree with you more. I tend to feel the same way about farm trucks.
    I feel there is a big difference between a single axle hyd or air braked farm vehicle than the 18 wheeler dump trailer and tanker farm vehicles used around here.I feel you should have to get a cdl if you are going to drive it.

As far as fire trucks, I drove my towns pumper once ( e one cab over style )and that thing boogied, actually scared myself and I have 16 yrs experience with close to 1 million miles in the seat of various trucks.

I feel its just a matter of time before vollys are required to get a CDL.
    Business Name
    Flat Lander Sugaring (who would think a guy from Az be making syrup)
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    4 membrane TR Industries RO 2HP 3 phase 601GPH 250 PSI
    PID Display for Arch Temp.
    Chumlee of the trader

Hauling more than 300 gal of sap is not much different regardless of how you are registered (farm, commercial or a regular PC plate). You can have a non CDL license and have a tank endorsement.

Scott
    2014 125 taps 16 gallons
    2015 210 taps 49 gallons
    2016 164 taps 75 gallons new 2X6 leader max flue and homemade AOF/AUF arch
    2017 1500 taps 196 gallons RO added additions to building new tap lease
    2018 1588 taps 276 gallons
    upgrades for 2019 season 3 phase vacuum pump, stainless tank in woods, tubing replacement

I was referring to the truck size not so much the tank size, sorry for the confusion.

+ Reply to Thread