+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cleaning of tubing systems.

Question Cleaning of tubing systems.

Hello,
    My name is Chris. I'm relatively new on this site. I've been doing the backyard/hobby sugaring for the past 3 or 4 years. I currently have 28 taps and am using 1/2 in. mainline. I'm looking to upgrade to 3/4 in. mainline so I can use saddle fittings, plus looking to add another 15 to 20 taps. I'm wondering about cleaning of the mainline and lateral lines. In the North American Maple Syrup Producers Manual it says that the lines should be flushed at the end of the season (which I've been doing). However, all the other maple producers I know and have met don't flush their lines. Rather they let the first couple runs of each new season flush the lines before they begin actively collecting and boiling. So my question is: Is it a good idea to flush the lines with potable/tap water? Or will this promote bacterial/microbial growth as one maple producer I know swears to for his reason not to flush with water? Any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks.

There is lots of on going research on that subject. People have used chlorine, hydrogen peroxide (food grade only), plain water (or spring water) and many other things. The last 2 years I've just run the vacuum until the inside was dry and then cap it tight. On a small system without vacuum you'd be hard pressed to get the lines dry. Using any chlorine leaves a salt residue that attracts squirrels. I guess I'm saying, drain as best you can and leave it capped. Then if you want, push some clean hot water thru it just before things freeze in the fall and drain it well.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    There is lots of on going research on that subject. People have used chlorine, hydrogen peroxide (food grade only), plain water (or spring water) and many other things. The last 2 years I've just run the vacuum until the inside was dry and then cap it tight. On a small system without vacuum you'd be hard pressed to get the lines dry. Using any chlorine leaves a salt residue that attracts squirrels. I guess I'm saying, drain as best you can and leave it capped. Then if you want, push some clean hot water thru it just before things freeze in the fall and drain it well.
    Thanks for the info. That's what I've been doing so far.

Dave,
    Have you tried peroxide to clean tubing systems? I'm planning to install as small gravity system and was curious about cleaning myself.

Thanks,

Dave

Yes, I used food grade peroxide for 5 or 6 years before I started my current method of vacuum drying them and closing up the system. The peroxide worked well but I think the drying works about as well and is faster and simpler.
    If you use Peroxide get food grade because of unwanted preservatives in medical grade. Then the peroxide must be stored in total dark or it begins breaking down into water and oxygen. In Fact I still own about 7-8 gal of food grade 35% hydrogen peroxide, but it in in a black bulk barrel. I wouldn't try to ship any but if someone close by wants to buy any I'd sell it.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Thanks. You definitely don't want to ship. It would cost a fortune because it's strong oxidizer.

Dave

+ Reply to Thread