+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sour Sap/syrup

Default Sour Sap/syrup

Somehow over this past weekend we had an off flavor creep into the sap/syrup...fruity is how I would describe it. We still have some off flavored concentrated sap left. My question is.... do we boil it and sell it as commercial....or do we toss the sour sap and flue pan full of off flavor and start up with the new?

The sap coming in tastes great....just don't know what to do with the stiff that soured on us.

Thanks for any replies!

Judging where Claverack NY is on the map, I'd say you were approaching the end of the season so throwing away the sweet in the pan would not help you make better syrup.

If the syrup is still suitable for cooking syrup or you have enough volume of syrup to sell it Commercially, I would keep boiling it. I sell Grade C for $40 a Gallon and have quite a few customers who want it. Who knows? Maybe the grade will pick up with the new sap.
    2012: Probably 750 gravity taps and 50 buckets.

600 gal stainless milk tank.
    2 - 100 gallon stock tanks
    one 30 gal barrel
    50 buckets

3' x 10' Waterloo Raised Flue wood fired evaporator w/ open pans.

12" x 20" Filter Canner

Sawmill next to sugarhouse solves my sugarwood problem

Gather with GMC 3500 2wd Pickup w/ 425 gallon Plastic Tank.

Been tapping here in Lyman NH since 1989 but I've been sugaring since 8 years old in 1968.

Could be fermentation.

Ferment – Fermented syrup usually develops from one of two problems with the product. If syrup has not been boiled
    enough to concentrate the correct amount of sugar, then the syrup may work like apple cider. At times, we find
    correct density syrup fermented and that is usually from syrup stored in barrels that have not been properly
    cleaned. Even barrels that have been previously steam cleaned may have moisture in them that have revealed yeast,
    mold, and bacteria in great numbers. Syrup that is fermented will have a sickening sweet flavor, at times a honey
    like similarity. Depending on the type of ferment, it may have an alcoholic or fruity taste. Severe ferment may have
    a foamy appearance.
    8th year making sugar
    120 taps second year on vac

2x4 Divided pan.
    Homemade RO 4x42XLE
    Shurflo 4048 pump

+ Reply to Thread