+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2 X 6 Raised Flue - Better Boil and Air Flow Question

Default 2 X 6 Raised Flue - Better Boil and Air Flow Question

New to raised flue evaporator this year.(2 X 6 Small Brother) I was using a flat pan home made system prior to this. I think I should be getting a better gph then I am.

I notice that the flue pan boils rapidly in about the 1st third closest to the fire but not so much near the stack - is this normal or should I have a good rapid boil throughout?

Also what is normally done for air flow. I have the damper below the doors wide open but still leave the doors open some. Should I close the doors completely and just use the lower damper?

Also the damper in the stack seems to do a good job of controlling the heat to the syrup pan when closed and the flue pan when opened. Just wondering how you guys out there run your systems.

Basically new at this and any help would be great.

I run my 2x6 with draft door open and other two doors closed and no damper in the stack.Mine boils hardest closest to the syrup pan but the boil does work its way to the back.

With your stack damper open and a hard boil in the flue pan do you still get a good boil up front in your syrup pan?

I used to own a sb 2x6,no dampner in stack! You want the draft of your stack to pull the heat all the way thru. Keep draft door open. Fire every 6
    to 7 min alternate doors and keep wood close to doors. Don't push wood back! Good luck.

My 2'-8' flue pan only boils rapidly in the first third and a light boil everywhere else. Don't worry, I think its normal, I am boiling more an hour than what they rate it for anyway.
    2'-6" by 5' homemade evaporator 12 gph
    550 taps- 500 on gravity feed, 50 on buckets
    Made 40 gallons of syrup
    Lapierre Storm 2' by 8', brand new

With my evaporator I can usually get the first 2 ft of the flue pan to boil good and hard, sometimes it will go back 3ft but not often. You should run with the doors closed and open and close your draft door to control the heat output. If your syrup pan wont boil but the flue pan is boiling good it means you have too much draft, what I did was close the area under the stack collar a bit. I wouldnt use a damper in the stack. If you dont have one get a stack thermometer that has a probe in the stack natural draft should be run in the ball park of 800-950 degrees. You are likely to never have a full giser boil through the pan but there should be some bubbles coming from the back of the pan. Good luck
    Jeff

470 taps
    Torr Vac TV40D High Vac with Lapierre Horizontal releaser
    Leader 2x6 Patriot raised flue
    Leader 2x4 Steamaway
    Wildfire arch
    MES Dolly 300 3 post RO
    DG 7" 5 bank filter press
    and still lookin to get bigger

Quote Originally Posted by nymapleguy607 View Post
    With my evaporator I can usually get the first 2 ft of the flue pan to boil good and hard, sometimes it will go back 3ft but not often. You should run with the doors closed and open and close your draft door to control the heat output. If your syrup pan wont boil but the flue pan is boiling good it means you have too much draft, what I did was close the area under the stack collar a bit. I wouldnt use a damper in the stack. If you dont have one get a stack thermometer that has a probe in the stack natural draft should be run in the ball park of 800-950 degrees. You are likely to never have a full giser boil through the pan but there should be some bubbles coming from the back of the pan. Good luck
    I only have a 2x3 evaporator but was wondering why you wouldn't use a damper? I added one to my stack because it seemed like I was losing a lot of heat without it.
    2017 Upgrades (I hope): 150-200 Taps on Vacuum, 50 Buckets, Sugar Shack - 50+ Gals
    2016 175-225 Taps on Buckets, Possibly 50 on Vacuum,2x4.5 Oil Fired Drop Flue Evaporator - Hoping for 20+ Gals
    2015 140 Taps on Buckets, Smokey Lake Flat Filter/Bottler - 11 Gals
    2014 75 Taps on Buckets - 7 Gals
    2013 60 Taps on Buckets, 2x3 Evaporator Homemade Arch and Algier's Pan with Preheater (For Sale) - 4 Gals

Generally with a larger arch you need all the draft you can get so the flames are pulled back between the flues. With a 2x3 your firebox is probably the same size as your pan so the coals will do alot to help boil it. In that situiation I would say keep the damper
    Jeff

470 taps
    Torr Vac TV40D High Vac with Lapierre Horizontal releaser
    Leader 2x6 Patriot raised flue
    Leader 2x4 Steamaway
    Wildfire arch
    MES Dolly 300 3 post RO
    DG 7" 5 bank filter press
    and still lookin to get bigger

Thanks for the clarification. I have been experimenting a little just to see what works best and the damper seemed to help keep the stack temp down a little and keep more heat in the arch. After reading about the half pint and how they recommend making a firewall in the firebox I tried that too but need to move it back a little as I think it decreased my gph a little. Sorry didn't mean to hijack this thread!
    2017 Upgrades (I hope): 150-200 Taps on Vacuum, 50 Buckets, Sugar Shack - 50+ Gals
    2016 175-225 Taps on Buckets, Possibly 50 on Vacuum,2x4.5 Oil Fired Drop Flue Evaporator - Hoping for 20+ Gals
    2015 140 Taps on Buckets, Smokey Lake Flat Filter/Bottler - 11 Gals
    2014 75 Taps on Buckets - 7 Gals
    2013 60 Taps on Buckets, 2x3 Evaporator Homemade Arch and Algier's Pan with Preheater (For Sale) - 4 Gals

+ Reply to Thread