+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Selecting an RO

Default Selecting an RO

I just started looking at RO machines. I am finding a large price variance (even for what appear to be similar capacity machines). I want to get a quality unit but I also don't want to spend any more than necessary. What are the key things to look for when selecting an RO? I realize this is open to personal opinion but I would also like to hear which machines others think are the best value? I have about 2000 taps so the 5 figure high end stuff is not even a consideration. Thanks for any input.

I assume you are thinking used? You'd have to to get a unit big enough for you without going into 5 figures, I think. There was/is a unit in the classifieds on here just like mine, for a good price. I have a similar # of taps, and I've been happy with my 600gph D&G, though it is a little slow if you want to concentrate high. But I get by with it.
    Tim Whitens
    Willow Creek Farm
    Fulton, NY

3000 on vacuum, 3hp 3ph Busch pump, 2567 Gast
    30X8 Leader oil-fired evap. w/ steamaway
    Airablo 1000 RO
    6 Alpacas

4000 GPD max sap flow. If you remove 3000 GPD water you'd be at 8 %. A 4x40 XLE membrane is rated for 2500 GPD permeate at 77 degrees and 1000 GPD at 40 degrees. So if you go to 8 % I assume you would need three 4x40 or one 8x40 with the 8 by 40 having some room. This assumes that the RO is productively running 24 hrs at 125 GPH in real life, and be rated at 500 GPH . You can increase speed with pressure or preheat the sap before it goes through the RO

But, IMHO any RO will help a lot. I think a big issue regarding price is the automation factor. Do you want automatic backwash, or will manual suffice. Do you have a provision for heating in you shack?

A reverse osmosis system is not magic. The pricing assumes they are magic. When I see the prices I really have to ask why would anyone want to buy that system new, when it can be built for one quarter of the price.

find a used machine, learn how it works. then look for new in the size you think you need.

+ Reply to Thread