+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What are the requirements for buying bulk and then repacking/selling/distributing

Default What are the requirements for buying bulk and then repacking/selling/distributing

I make some of my own syrup and have found a restaurant who wants to buy from me. however i do not make enough to supply them. I am considering buying bulk from another producer and re-canning.

What are the labeling issues and other issues with this type of operation?

What should I be aware of?

this is in VT - and I am also looking at distributing to a second restaurant in NY.

I would probably be open to both parties that I am fulfilling the additional/supplement from a producer in the same town/nearby town. I have no wish to deceive people - but I do want to expand into the production.
    Last edited by TimJ; 02-17-2013 at 09:38 PM.

I think you have to be able to properly grade the syrup by taste and buy it according to the market value for each grade. Most bulk buyers have a taster who grades the syrup and labels the barrel and then it is weighed and the person is paid by the pound. Then they repackage or redistribute accordingly. I would think the important part is being dead on with the grading so that you don't spend more for syrup than its actually worth.

Proper labeling,name and grade a must
    be aware of density,grade and filteration process,taste[different soils =different flavor]
    i buy 350-400 gallons on top of the 600 i make,and check each barrel i buy,unless it is from a reputable producer,still alway air the side caution

And make sure the producer uses only food grade stuff in the collection, handling and storage of all syrup and sap!!

+ Reply to Thread