+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Long Distance Maple sugaring

Quote Originally Posted by unimog406 View Post
    I live in williston ND and would like to do maple syruping, so before you say I am crazy I am not really looking to make a ton of money off it its more or less just a hobby. I used to live in NY and had a large sugarbush 10000 trees but went out west for the oil patch. I have all the equipment already I just need sap. Is there anyone outhere that would sell me about 1000-1500 gallons and possibly even haul it for an additional fee? Yes I do know sap goes rancid in about 4-5 days maximum. Thanks, Toby
    Toby- I feel your pain my friend. I walked away from sugaring years ago and moved to Alaska but never could stop thinking about sugaring. You got the bug for sure and it is not going to go away. Walking away from a 10,000 tap sugar woods has got to hurt real bad. I would rather have someone cut off my privates then walk away from 10,000 taps. Did you sell this woods? If not could you tap a small portion of it and pay someone to haul that sap to you? Hang in there my friend because this sickness will not go away.

Spud

Quote Originally Posted by jrgagne99 View Post
    Wouldn't the milk flavor get infused into the sap? Sounds like you'd run a high risk of making off-flavored syrup.
    How many used milk trucks are used for sap? Most sugarmakers I know have at least one stainless milk bulk tank somewhere in their operation?
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

I don't think it's that crazy of an idea, but you couldn't use a milk truck to haul the sap. Milk trucks that are liscenced to haul milk can only haul milk or water, nothing else. I don't know about other places, but I know in Wisconsin this is enforced. Also, the milk truck doesn't absorb the flavor of the milk, it's stainless steel and stainless doesn't absorb off flavors, not to mention the truck gets washed every time after it drops off a load of milk at the plant.
    18 Years Old
    Been Cooking Since Nine and Constantly Expanding
    275 on Vacuum and 215 Bags
    John Deere 2320
    Wes-Fab 7" Short Stack Filter Press
    Ray Gengrich 250 R/O
    Waterloo/Small 2x8 with Home-Made HP AOF and AUF and Air-Tight Door

I have a 3500 gallon stainless fire truck, which I was going to haul the sap in and I have plenty of equipment to process that load in about 36 -48 hrs depending on water content. But since everyone wants me to just dilute syrup, anyone want to sell me a 55 gallon drum of the stuff.

(2) 3x12 leader evaporators

I can sell you a barrel after February for 1800 you'll have to pay for shipping.
    I have a trucking company that i use all the time for bulk syrup.
    I'm not sure what he'll chargr for ND but i can find out if your
    Intetested

Quote Originally Posted by unimog406 View Post
    I have a 3500 gallon stainless fire truck, which I was going to haul the sap in and I have plenty of equipment to process that load in about 36 -48 hrs depending on water content. But since everyone wants me to just dilute syrup, anyone want to sell me a 55 gallon drum of the stuff.

(2) 3x12 leader evaporators
    I say if you want to and have the means to then go for it. Don't worry about being told it can't be done.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Quote Originally Posted by adk1 View Post
    ok. this has to be the craziest post ever on this site.
    Did adk1 bump his head on the evaporator door while cleaning it out? He surely has forgotten about some of his posts from the past!
    Leader WSE 2x6 w/hoods
    12"x20" Mason Finisher
    250 taps.. Majority on tubing
    14'x20' sugarshack
    Kubota RTV900XT
    Home built Auto Drawoff
    Leader MicRO 2 RO
    www.mallardpondmaple.com

Sounds like boiling sap into syrup is the goal here and since transportation is the issue, perhaps locating someone willing to sell RO concentrate would be just what the doctor ordered? Love your spirit --- stick with it to the end my friend.

Why not take a few days off come east and hook up with a sugar house and help them boil for a few days and you can return home a cured man till next year.

Nathan,
    123 taps 2012
    175 taps 2013
    250 taps 2014
    3 Sap Haulers & 1 Maple Widow
    2X6 Smokey maple pans

http://smilebox.com/play/4d7a41784e5..._playback_link

Think about all of the milk tanks being used to hold sap, wash a milk truck tank and it is fine!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12