+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 275 gallon fuel oil drum evaporator

Last season I had an 18"X22" pan cut into a barrel stove with a banquet pan across it for a pre-heater. I dipped sap from storage drums with a quart sauce pan. So, I was measuring a gallon and a half into the pre-heater about 3 times a hour. So with about 400 square inches I was getting around 4 GPH. I think?? The new setup will be 1440 sq. inches and maybe a flue pan.

I did get the top torched off of Old Rusty and trimmed the legs down to 6 inches, it was on 4 foot tall pipes. If I put the worst end to the back and brick the rest.
    I need to get some sheet steel and angle iron and see how it goes. I'm planning to build a box across the back so the flue pipe won't take any space from the sap pans and then come up with some sort of blower.

I'm thinking that if I make a decent arch and buy a good set of pans I maybe set for a few years. Sorry that we have so long to wait for next season.
    2011 19 taps, 5 gallons of syrup
    Moved from turkey fryers to barrel stove.
    A copy of the North American Maple Manual.
    "2012 in the book" 85 taps, new 24"X60" rig 5" drop flue, made 15 gallons
    2013 75 buckets and bags, 50 taps on tubing= 32.6875 gallons in glass.

http://s1129.photobucket.com/albums/...%20rig%202011/

I did the batch pan thing on a barrel stove for a lot of years and used a couple stainless pots for preheaters -- but it was slow. I use a steam tray pan for finishing my almost syrup on a turkey fryer burner now and it really works out. Have a valve attached on an end and I can draw off samples to check with a syrup hydrometer. When I bring it in the house now it is ready to can. My 2' x 5' flow thru evaporator is a flat-bottom - but - it keeps me busy - last year I ran out of sap a couple of times and had to chase it with water -- sure learned how it worked in a hurry - cause I didn't want to scorch the pans. One of my Sons and a couple of Grandsons gathered sap and brought it up to me - so - when I would start a boil I would have about 150 gallons to play with and when I had about thirty gallons in the feed tank would start to reduce the fire so I could put it to bed with sap and leave the pans sweet for the next boil. I think once you get your flow thru set up going - You will really like it....... Mike

Someone might find this interesting

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12