+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: English Tin

it all in how you use your lead pans i boiled for years with a tin flue pan and have my syrup regularly checked for lead and the lead count in under the lowest they can test to but i do't let sap sit in them longer then 12 hours if it looks like i not going to be boiling for a few days i drain i pan into a stainless drum
    Boyd
    750 taps on vacuum
    150 taps on gravity
    122 buckets
    250 gph homemade ro
    3x8 raised flue pans on a homemade air over arch
    hoods and preheater
    my biggest fear is when i die my wife will sell my sugaring stuff for what i told her i payed for it
    http://s367.photobucket.com/albums/oo112/jrthe3/

Ok, here's how I see it. Lead soldered pans are perfectly fine to use. The amount of lead that will leach into you sap/syrup will be very minute, probably undetectable. Residence time has a lot to do with it, that is how long the liquid is in contact with the lead solder. While boiling, that time is very short. So, that said, if you drain the pans after your'e done boiling, there is less contact time with the lead since the sap won't be just sitting there until you boil again. Also, niter, or sugar sand, will build up in the pans and cover the lead preventing it from leaching into the syrup. So, when you clean the pans, leave the niter on the solder joints. Problem solved.
    But, to be extra sure, you could send a sample of syrup out to be tested for lead, but I'd bet it comes back clear. As long as you're aware of the potential for contamination, you can take proper steps to avoid it.
    I would not rule out English Tin pans so long as they're in good shape and don't leak. They can also be bought far below the price of stainless. So, for someone who is just starting out, they can be a good value.
    Last edited by Southtowns27; 04-21-2011 at 09:41 PM.
    2x6 raised flue at a buddies operation from '99-'04
    2.5x8 Grimm Lighting at buddies '05-'06 900 taps
    Amish built drop flue 2x6 at our own operation since 2007 ~200 taps
    2011 - Bought buddies Grimm Lightning 2.5x8 raised flue, 407 taps out as of 2/10/11
    Now up to 557 as of 2/27/11
    1967 Tucker Sno-Cat 442-A
    1976 Thiokol 2100B
    I have to be off my rocker

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12