+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Saddles Upside WRONG, and Twisting

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdgen.maple View Post
    Just put a splice in before the twisted saddles and turn that whole section of pipe back so the saddles are facing up. Next year if it does it again just twist splice around again.
    I like that idea except when stuff freezes up. I have a splice near my releaser. The ice in the main wont pass through the splice, and as slush is drawn down the main, it gets caught at the splice, and plugs the line untill it finally melts
    3x12 drop flue.
    1000 taps on 24 inches of vacuum, and 200 buckets.
    Bought a used springtech 500 GPH RO
    Shooting for 29" of vacuum, less than 5 taps per line, and 2 quarts per tap.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lown-...4713586?ref=hl

You might get better ice passage if you took the insert connector out and chamferred the inside edges. MIGHT.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    You might get better ice passage if you took the insert connector out and chamferred the inside edges. MIGHT.
    gotcha. thank you. Ill keep that in mind
    3x12 drop flue.
    1000 taps on 24 inches of vacuum, and 200 buckets.
    Bought a used springtech 500 GPH RO
    Shooting for 29" of vacuum, less than 5 taps per line, and 2 quarts per tap.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lown-...4713586?ref=hl

all this talk of saddles turning has me wondering what it is that i have been doing right??? i have thousands of ft of mainline with almost all saddles, and only have had one that turned outa place, and that was mostly cause it was a section of mainline i removed and reused so i think it got turned when i wired it on the new wire. i cant believe all the trouble some guys have, maybe i just got lucky! i do like them so much better than t and star combos, there fast and simple to install
    11x29 sugarhouse
    2x8 airtight arch homemade with waterloo flue pan, welded syrup pan and parallel flow preheater hood
    250gph cdl ro
    1100+ taps for 2014, approx 1000 of them vac
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Crowh...5582993?ref=hl

This is only a problem for the guys who take down their mainlines every year and when they put them back up they are twisted and it is hard for them to get the saddles lined back up on the top. If your mainline stays up year round this should not happen at all.
    2X6 deluxe Phanuef
    Adding 200 more every year
    27 years left of building a Hobby into a retirement time burner.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    Dr. Tim Perkins showed a video of how the Stainless Steel fittings show less turbulence than the plastic fittings. I would think the reason is the chamfer of the ss on the inside, they should allow better ice flow through them than plastic. Just a thought.
    2X6 deluxe Phanuef

True, but if you use Lapierre SS fittings you must use a mainline tool and flare them to get started if done in cold weather. Not sure about other brands of SS fittings. haven't tried them yet. SS is pricy, but it does clean better, and restrict flow little or none. You also will not pull fittings apart with SS and proper clamping, at least with the Lapierre fittings.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Thanks folks for all the suggestions AFTER the season Just kidding, anyway, the rubber plugs I got from my supplier were the wrong size. I just taped with electrical tape and didn't notice any leakage all season; remember I'm not on vacuum. I think I'll have to double check them next year though, they did leak when I flushed them by pumping water back through the line. That of course was a little bit of pressure - I am just nervous it spoiled the seal I had with the electrical tape. By the way, the landowner said, "Ahh geez, I didn't realize how much work it was to put those up and take 'em down, why don't you leave them up up" He gets extra syrup this year
    3rd (maybe 4th?) Generation Sugarmaker
    Wood fired Grimm 2.5 x 8 New to me this year.
    In the corner of the "greasy garage"
    300 Taps @ 2 locations this year
    All borrowed trees!

Rubber plugs for what?
    2X6 deluxe Phanuef

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123