+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Big Sap in NE Ohio !

Default Big Sap in NE Ohio !

With the thunderstorms that rolled through here last night, I didn't expect to see anything at all, but sap is finally running over here in Lake County, Ohio.

Went out at first light this morning and collected 130 gallons from 135 bags! Lots were full to the brim, others about ½ full and it was running at about a drip a second.

Hustled like hell to beat what looked like more rain coming in and it took two trips to gather it all. I only have two 35 gal tanks in the gator and sap tank is only 150 gal, so I may have a storage problem if I don't get crackin'.

Will be boiling tonight..and from the looks of the forecast, will be busy most every morning and night till Friday.

After the fiasco - new shack and evap... but no sap - last year, it feels good to think we may finally make more syrup than we did on the ½ Pint.

Hope everyone else is seeing the same.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

John,
    My son just called me at work and said grandpa and him just brought in 225 gallons tonight from our 215 taps. Looks like I as well will be digging out the extra sap storage tank tomorrow.
    Jeff
    226 taps, 2X6 evap with homemade piggyback
    "Four Corners Farm"
    Jefferson, Ohio

im right with you! got home last night battled flooding creeks and brought in the sap i could get, 125 gallons on 130 buckets. couldnt get to all of them because of high water but luckily the creek didnt take any buckets, planning on getting everything in tonight and boiling!
    Matthew Cross
    Madison, Ohio
    400 taps on vacuum with surge sp-22
    200 buckets
    30 x 10 leader max
    w/ enhanced steam away and Pre-heater

Collected another 30 gallons last night - for a day's total of 160 out of 135 taps; that's a record for us. Sugar content was 2% per the refractometer.

Fired up and boiled off 95 gallons between 6:45 and 10:00 for a gph of 29, not bad considering I was being a bit cautious making sure everything was set up right. First, out of 2 boil overs made me scramble to the house for the defoamer; which of course - I'd forgotten all about.

If we hit 40° today, we may see even more...let's roll.
    John Allin

7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

boiled off around 100 gal. last night. couldnt belive it , trees acctually ran.

Default great day

Love to make light syrup with good sugar when the ground is white. Great day, sap holding at 2.25 , grade went to very light. Boiled all day finished off and had to put the evaporater on idle for a couple hours then the trees opened up and kept me going till 7. Looks like there will be sap to start tomorrow the sap is dumping every 5 min. The season is looking better every day.
    Maple Syrup producer of 40+years
    320 taps on vacuum all hard maple
    3x12 Lapierre evaporator
    South Madison

Yes awesome sap run Sunday night and Monday morning. Collected 475 gallons from 331 buckets. Best run Ive ever had.
    1000 taps on vac down to 100+ buckets 99% sugars
    2x5 SL Hi-Output Raised Flue Corsair evaporator
    SL Short bank press with CDL diaphragm pump
    Leader Micro 1 RO for 2024
    Constantly changing
    2010:36 gal 2011:126 gal 2012:81 gal 2013:248 gal 2014: 329.5 gal 2015:305 gal 2016:316 gal 2017:258 gal 2018:147 gal 2019:91 gal 2020:30 gal 2021:30 gal 2023:50 gal Total since 2010: 2047.5 gal
    Tapping the same trees my great, great and great grandfathers tapped.

Taps began running here about 6:00 and collected 40 more gallons. Boiled it off tonight so to have room for towmmorow's run. That's two nights in a row that we've boiled and from the way some of them were dripping; I'm thinking it's going to run all night.

This is more like it - lots better than last year.
    John Allin

Have to agree with all of you! The sap was great Sunday into Monday. One thing though, I don't care if I am ever in the sugar house during one of those kind of storms again. That was wicked. We boiled through the night Sunday and left at 5:30 Monday morning. The sap was coming in so good we had to stay and boil. Got up Monday and headed to the other woods to find more mega sap. Boiled that off last night. Just got done boiling off another 300 gallons tonight that came in throughout the day. Stopped at the other woods to check on things on my way home tonight. Up in a couple hours to haul sap and fire up again tomorrow. Hopefully early start. Weather looks awesome for the next 7 days. Possibly another mega sap run this weekend. More rain and warm nights. Bring it on, we will be ready. If we have enough wood!!! Boiled nine days so far this year

boiled in 400 gallons last night! took about 4 hrs love this new rig and glad im going to actually run it this year! made nice looking light syrup, ill check buckets when i get home today but thinking they might be alittle frozen in my neck of the woods. waiting till this weekend which looks like some long hours in the woods and sugarhouse!
    Matthew Cross
    Madison, Ohio
    400 taps on vacuum with surge sp-22
    200 buckets
    30 x 10 leader max
    w/ enhanced steam away and Pre-heater

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast