+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need more gph.

Default Need more gph.

If I'm going to keep sugaring this year, I'll definitely need a better setup. I boiled all weekend. I tapped four street side sugar maples I have access to and I'm going to need a better set up than a turkey fryer with an old wood stove as a preheater!

It took about 15 hours to make a gallon of syup (and I think I only had about 25 gallons of sap or so!)

When I was done, my son was really excited to see all of that syrup - he's hoping for some candy this year!

Molly
    19 taps (8 of them are golden!)

I think I know he answer, but did you test the brix of that sap? I am sure that it is pretty high to be roadside trees. that is a long time to boil, but if your only looking to make a gallon then its simply a fun weekend. Did you test the syrup with a hydrometer?
    FIRST GENERATION SUGARMAKER
    First boil 2/22/2012! Went Pefect!
    3,500' of laterals
    1,000' of mainline
    2012 - 105 taps on gravity, 12 sap sacks.
    2013 - 175 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks = 200 taps for 2013! Second year.
    2014 - 250 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks
    Tapped on February 16, 2014
    2015 - adding vac sap puller no more gravity for me!
    275 gallon holding tank for 2014
    20'x30' Sugarhouse

Molzep . . . . that sounds about right. On my turkey fryer, I only get about 1 1/2 gallons per hour. If it took you 15 hours to boil 25 gallons of sap, that's about right.

But I agree about a better setup. I'm looking to build a 2x6 arch this summer. I'll probably use steam table pans for the first year or two, then look for a good pan set. Of course this is dependent on my ability to get more taps.
    -----------------------
    Bill Smith (Papa Smiff)
    • Hoping to build 2x4 with AOF & AUF
    • Looking for trees to tap in my suburban wasteland
    Hopes for 2014: Talk to neighbors about tapping trees behind their houses, and nearby roadside trees.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmiff View Post
    Molzep . . . . that sounds about right. On my turkey fryer, I only get about 1 1/2 gallons per hour. If it took you 15 hours to boil 25 gallons of sap, that's about right.

But I agree about a better setup. I'm looking to build a 2x6 arch this summer. I'll probably use steam table pans for the first year or two, then look for a good pan set. Of course this is dependent on my ability to get more taps.
    Bill, do you have the Backyard Sugarin book? Lots of excellent ideas and setups for a low budget backyarder!
    FIRST GENERATION SUGARMAKER
    First boil 2/22/2012! Went Pefect!
    3,500' of laterals
    1,000' of mainline
    2012 - 105 taps on gravity, 12 sap sacks.
    2013 - 175 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks = 200 taps for 2013! Second year.
    2014 - 250 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks
    Tapped on February 16, 2014
    2015 - adding vac sap puller no more gravity for me!
    275 gallon holding tank for 2014
    20'x30' Sugarhouse

ADK1
    I don't have that book, but have been absorbing everything on MapleTrader for three years. I'm hoping that my next expansion will carry me up to a eventual capacity of 500 taps. With that in mind, my only option is a custom built 2x6. Then add RO when needed.

I've also considered a barrel evaporator, but I don't think that will take me to 500 taps. The cinderblock arch was an interesting low-cost option, but I want to boil indoors.
    Last edited by PapaSmiff; 02-28-2011 at 08:14 AM. Reason: spelling
    -----------------------
    Bill Smith (Papa Smiff)
    • Hoping to build 2x4 with AOF & AUF
    • Looking for trees to tap in my suburban wasteland
    Hopes for 2014: Talk to neighbors about tapping trees behind their houses, and nearby roadside trees.

I started out with a 3 foot square flat pan sitting on blocks with a wood fire that evaporated 10 gallons per hour

+ Reply to Thread