+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hydrometers: Short Vs Long

Default Hydrometers: Short Vs Long

After doing some searching on the threads I found one person saying that short hydrometers in short cups are harder than the long. Is this true?
    Benedict Hudson

www.benedicthudson.com

discovering and sharing the world through photography, music, and maple syrup

25 taps
    1 pot

that is what I hear too
    FIRST GENERATION SUGARMAKER
    First boil 2/22/2012! Went Pefect!
    3,500' of laterals
    1,000' of mainline
    2012 - 105 taps on gravity, 12 sap sacks.
    2013 - 175 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks = 200 taps for 2013! Second year.
    2014 - 250 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks
    Tapped on February 16, 2014
    2015 - adding vac sap puller no more gravity for me!
    275 gallon holding tank for 2014
    20'x30' Sugarhouse

What do you mean by Harder? Harder to use or a harder glass? have used both and never noticed a difference other than you need more syrup for the long one to float. But the longer ones are suppose to be more accurate.
    2X6 deluxe Phanuef
    Adding 200 more every year
    27 years left of building a Hobby into a retirement time burner.

Yeah, sorry, I meant that I've heard the shorter ones are not as good as the longer ones and not as accurate. If that is the case, why are there shorter ones in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdgen.maple View Post
    What do you mean by Harder? Harder to use or a harder glass? have used both and never noticed a difference other than you need more syrup for the long one to float. But the longer ones are suppose to be more accurate.
    Benedict Hudson

www.benedicthudson.com

25 taps
    1 pot

Its all about the mighty dollar lol. longer hydrometer cup, more money, longer hydrometer, more money. I think the short syrup hydrometers are just fine to use and more likely the standard for us. The sap hydrometer on the other hand I use only the long one. Sap is not as dense and therefore I think the accuracy of the short one would be more noticable. Just another one of those preference things I would imagine.
    2X6 deluxe Phanuef
    Adding 200 more every year
    27 years left of building a Hobby into a retirement time burner.

I use the short syrup hydrometer at the draw off and the long one for bottling. The short one isn't as likely to hit the draw off valve when I'm moving it around in the tight space.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Both hydrometers are accurate. What makes the long hydrometer better is that the brix scale is bigger (bigger distance between the numbers) so it makes it easy to read. The short hydrometer has a tighter scale so the number are closer and you have to look a little harder at it.
    The draw back to the long hydrometer is that if you need a long cup, and if you have a small evaporater it take to much syrup to fill it. I would like to use the long cup and hydrometer myself but the short cup works better with my evaporater.
    Matt

2x6 Phaneuf raised flue pans
    homemade oil burning arch & hood
    homemade RO,auto draw-off, releaser,auto-canning valve, filter press, ext.....
    850 taps

That is the only part, a long hydrometer has an easier to read scale, streatched out if you will. But both if used properly and carefully are as accurate, if calibrated and never dropped into your test cup. If one hits bottom it gradually slides the paper down and soon needs recalibrating.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I will buy the long one, jsut easier to read. The difference between the long and short cup is basically the long cup is 2" longer. Not a huge deal
    FIRST GENERATION SUGARMAKER
    First boil 2/22/2012! Went Pefect!
    3,500' of laterals
    1,000' of mainline
    2012 - 105 taps on gravity, 12 sap sacks.
    2013 - 175 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks = 200 taps for 2013! Second year.
    2014 - 250 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks
    Tapped on February 16, 2014
    2015 - adding vac sap puller no more gravity for me!
    275 gallon holding tank for 2014
    20'x30' Sugarhouse

Wow guys thanks a lot for the help and input. I'll go with with the longer one for now and see how I fare.
    Benedict Hudson

www.benedicthudson.com

25 taps
    1 pot

+ Reply to Thread