+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Grading Kits

Default Grading Kits

Wow! They are expensive from what I've been finding, especially on the Bascom site. Is 346 dollars what I should expect to pay? I know to be able to sell I need to properly grade the syrup, but is that amount of money what it is going to cost? The temporary ones although cheaper just seem to be a waste since they last only a year.
    Benedict Hudson

www.benedicthudson.com

discovering and sharing the world through photography, music, and maple syrup

25 taps
    1 pot

I have the contact details for who you need to talk to at the USDA to get a permanent set for $130 including S/H. If you want it shoot me a PM.

Is a perminent grading kit worth the money, at this point, if the grading standards are going to change in two years. I've read that in 2013 there will be a new grading system.
    -----------------------
    Bill Smith (Papa Smiff)
    • Hoping to build 2x4 with AOF & AUF
    • Looking for trees to tap in my suburban wasteland
    Hopes for 2014: Talk to neighbors about tapping trees behind their houses, and nearby roadside trees.

I recently saw a digital colorimeter at our local maple dealers and was stunned by the price. Just now I googled
    "digital colorimeter maple" and up popped a Hanna for $195. Less than most permanent kits and never goes out of date when the standards go international.

BUT
    the kit to do 75 tests is ONLY another $ 429. Bummer.
    Last edited by Brent; 02-21-2011 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Choubacca View Post
    Wow! They are expensive from what I've been finding, especially on the Bascom site. Is 346 dollars what I should expect to pay? I know to be able to sell I need to properly grade the syrup, but is that amount of money what it is going to cost? The temporary ones although cheaper just seem to be a waste since they last only a year.
    The temporary (2-yr) grading kits are about $25 and will get you through until the new grading system comes into effect in a few years.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

I've emailed the dealer on the Hanna thing. Something there does not add up.

I have seen the temporary grading kits for $16-27 (Leader is the high one), why that much range? They all appear to be from the same mfgr.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Get the temp one, we will all be buying a new one in 5 years.
    30x40 Sugarhouse
    975 taps here at home. Still have 3-400 to add in.
    3x10 Cabin by the Creek evap with "steamaway"
    CDL 600 RO
    ebayed Sogevac S65

+ Reply to Thread