+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Situation

Default Situation

I have about 30 taps I can add. The lateral lines will be about 200 feet (I know it is not ideal but it is the only option I have now) If I can run this all down hill to one point and then barber pole it up to my mainline (about 3' lift) will it work? I run about 22" of vac unless I spring some major leaks. I could do a sap ladder but each lateral will have no more than 15 taps on it and I feel like it will be like a small sap ladder running into a saddle. I could run a small main and then spider up, but it seems like a waste to me. Thoughts and experiences? I know I will not get sap like I would running down hill on short lateral lines but I figure a little more sap is better than no additional sap. Thanks in advance for any/all input.

Chris
    Chris
    18 X 20 sugar shack
    1300 taps all on vac.
    2 by 8 Lapierre all stanless evaporator
    Steam Hood
    Lapierre 250 Turbo R.O.
    Polaris Ranger
    30 years experience

Everything you have said is a little bit wrong..... with vacuum the saying is strive for 5 not 15, lateral lines should be kept under 100'....barberpole it up, Go straight up. If you go round and round you are making the sap travel that much further. Yes you will get some sap but will the cost of supplies be worth the gain?
    Thad

Do they all have to go into an existing main at one place? If not, could you break them up into 3 different 5 tap runs, then use two pipe 5/16 ladders to lift them? Alternatively, yes you'll be getting sap you wouldn't otherwise by doing as you described, but if you do it right, with a short main, then say a four line star lift, you will get a lot more sap. Do it right the first time and get production to pay for the time and materials you're investing. Another thing to keep in mind is that from the hints coming from Dr. Tim I believe that current research is going to blow the strive for five deal out of the water. In a couple years we may be shaking our heads at 5 tap laterals like we would at a 15 tapper today. Good luck!
    Andy's Own Maple
    Andy Kinter (4th + generation maple producer)
    Approx 790 taps on vacuum

3x10 nat. gas fired raised flue small bros.
    600 gph Lapierre RO
    Fine collection of used bulk tanks
    Kubota MX5100 sap hauler
    2 hives (that I don't spend enough time on)
    A great family that works together to make syrup!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Andys...27718203945398
    http://photobucket.com/mapleack

Thanks,

I know we are supposed to strive for 5 but that is not realistic in this situation. I did it today and it cost me around $75 to add 25 taps. If I get a pint per tap that will pay for itself about 3 times over this year. In the future I will extend the mainline about 300' and put in a sap ladder. For now it will work.

Chris
    Chris
    18 X 20 sugar shack
    1300 taps all on vac.
    2 by 8 Lapierre all stanless evaporator
    Steam Hood
    Lapierre 250 Turbo R.O.
    Polaris Ranger
    30 years experience

+ Reply to Thread