Thread: Looking for way to store hydrometer between tests that is clumsiness proof

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by 77maple View Post
    All good suggestions. I've broken many, learned the hard way. We use a coffee thermos. Works pretty good
    Thank you, 77 Maple, your idea of using a coffee thermos is brilliant! I have a stainless steel Coleman coffee thermos that I'm not using. It is 9" high with an opening diameter of 1.6 inches at the top and a diameter of 2.5 inches wide at the bottom. It would make a good stable place to put the hydrometer in between tests, and it would be easy to wash afterwards. Here's Amazon's picture of it:

The utensil drying rack that I ordered a few hours ago from Amazon is 3" wide in diameter and 5" high. I think that it would also work. It's wider, which could cause a problem, but it's also less high, so it could be easier to place the hydrometer in it without breaking. Also, with it hanging from the inside of a pot or sink, there's less chance of me knocking it over with the hydrometer inside. Here's Amazon's picture of it:

51P5mVyiFFL._AC_SX679_.jpg
    Last edited by HowardR; 02-29-2020 at 06:30 AM.
    680 5/16 taps on gravity
    red and sugar maples
    2 Homemade ROs
    Stovetop evaporator
    Filter press by Daryl
    Star San Tube Pump
    Drying rack for hydrometer
    Loves tapping in snow