+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: New grades article in maple digest

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    Correct. This is a very favorable change in my opinion. Some consumers really want the very dark, strong-tasting syrup. With this change you can legally sell it to them (in retail quantities) as long as it doesn't have any objectionable off-flavors.

This is the best part of the change process. Many times you can make very great flavored syrup but it is darker than "B" on the grading scale that was based solely on color. This is a change that has been needed for a long time.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

I have been involved with this issue for a long time. As a Board of director with Mass Maple we were asked to comment on the issue last year. Well at first I felt why change it and it is fine the way it is. over time I realized it was for the best since the big players, Canada and Vermont were already on board and not objecting to it. I couldn't believe Vermont was ok with giving up the term Fancy. That in a sense shows you how commited some were in getting the grades standardized.
    I also was concerned about how much money producers would need to spend to comply. For many it will cost a lot of money.
    New permanent grade kit
    New silk screens for each size jugs(some producers have wording on the container saying the grade)
    new grade labels
    posters explaining the new grades. etc.
    Other issues were what if Mass opposed it. how would we fair with the rest of the world. Mass has five other states that abut it and those that live near the border would have to always have to answer the questions and explain the grades so finally I felt even though it would cost alot it was for the best.
    Keith

Just to clarify, the "Delicate Taste/ Rich Taste" etc., etc., will have to be listed/printed on the bottle or producer applied sticker in addition to the new color system?

I am not completely against this change, but I think its a little more than what was needed. I never liked the Grade B designation. I'm glad that has changed. "B" made it sound like that syrup was somehow inferior. I also like the "standardizing" among the states. However, light/medium/dark/extra dark, without the "B", would have been fine. All producers are still going to have a lot of explaining to do with their customers with this system. I can hear it now- customers huddled around the sample area, both asking and argueing, "Whats the difference between Strong and Robust"?, "This one's more Rich than that one!", "How is this Delicate"? And so and so on.

We'll see how it goes...

Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

according to the article the grade(color) and flavor would have to be on the label or on the bottle some where. they are working on the issues with the smaller and decorative bottle as there is not alot of room as it is!!!

remember at this point nothing is written in stone yet and they still have 2+ years until the 2013 unofficial deadline to get the changes in place. So with this article it will sorta give everyone a heads up. and I am sure your local Ag rep/insp. will be able to answer your questions as soon as they are educated on this.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Bucket Head View Post
    However, light/medium/dark/extra dark, without the "B", would have been fine.
    The problem with this is that consumers don't always intuitively understand that (normally) flavor corresponds to color. Therefore there is the need to put in a direct flavor descriptor. Now these descriptors weren't just pulled out of the air (or elsewhere)....they were determined through extensive (and expensive) consumer studies done in several areas. I'm sure we can all dream up descriptors until the cows come home, but the real way to do it is to ask the people who buy the product....the consumers. This is what the effort is all about...making it easier for the consumer...not making it easier for the sugarmaker. Although....I think it has some distinct benefits for the maple producers as well.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

It is a remarkable condition of the industry when 2 countries their provinces, states and research facilities responsibly regulate with such concern for both the producer and the consumer. The new grading system must be viewed not in relation to the existing one but rather as its own solution. From a fresh point of view not clinging to the old way of doing it, the improved grading system is a solid rock foundation from which every producer can now base a broad marketing system. That being said everyone can agree that there are improvements to be made.
    Clarification on the batch designation is key. For example: if I blend syrup from 3.3.2011 with syrup from 3.21.2011 how would the batch designation then be applied?
    It would also be a good compromise to let producers label with the new grading system and the old if they wanted to. This would aid the consumer as well and might be an effective transition tool.
    Obviously there will be some sort of marketing of the new system to aid producers, how($) will this be implemented?
    As mentioned in the digest, an expanded tasting/grading school would be very helpful and likely well received by the industry.
    30"x10' Vortex w/Max Combo Pans
    Marcland Auto Draw
    1100 on vacuum
    CDL 600 RO
    JD 5075 (Fransguard 3507)
    Sap Haulers: AJ, JF, and wife when available...

We are new to maple syrup sales. We have always just made enough for ourselves and some for gifts for friends. We are in need of a grading system for this year as we are planning to make and sell more syrup then we ever use to. Is the new grading system able to be used yet or will i have to invest in the current system and in another 2 years invest in a new system?

I would prefere to invest in the new system now so i don't have to learn twice.

Jason

The way I understand it Peckfarm is it is not necessarily a designation of each batch coming off the evaporator but rather a designation of a batch of syrup bottled and sold. It was explained to me at VVS this is for a traceble record of that certain "batch" of syrup sold wether its blended or hot off the evaporator in case there is something wrong found and a recall of that batch can be made. So not only do we need a designated "batch" number but a record of who bought which batches. It in my opinion is a small task and responsible to do. Also someone can correct me but I do not believe there has ever been a single need for this in the past. With that said I think it is great that our industry itself can step up and show we are willing to take these steps and that government regulations are not needed as alot of time has been spent taking these measures. I personally love the new system. It is not only confusing for some consumers but I have corrected quite a few producers as well who do not lable their syrup properly themselves. A couple examples are a NY producer insist that he lables grade a light amber as fancy. Another one I know has no grading kit at all and just holds it up to the light and takes a guess at what grade it is. It is these people who only confuse the consumer as well. With that said educating these types of producers and getting them to be compliant with the new system is going to be another story and unless they get onboard and get a proper grading kit and lables it will catch up to them and make us all look bad when we read about it in the paper.
    2X6 deluxe Phanuef
    Adding 200 more every year
    27 years left of building a Hobby into a retirement time burner.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by jasonl6 View Post
    Is the new grading system able to be used yet or will i have to invest in the current system and in another 2 years invest in a new system?
    No, the new system has not yet been accepted by the federal regulatory agencies or by the individual states and provinces. It'll be at least 2-3 yrs.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Just wanted to make another observation that in several post back Dr. Tim also noted that it is currently illegal to sell comercial grade syrup in a quanity of less than 5 gallons. I was told the same thing by an ag inspector a few years back. But if you guys go on ebay you will notice that there are producers selling the stuff in 2 gallon and less quanities right on the internet. Just another reason we the industry needs to get things straightened up before someone else does it for us by costing us even more money.
    2X6 deluxe Phanuef
    Adding 200 more every year
    27 years left of building a Hobby into a retirement time burner.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast