+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can't wait

Default Can't wait

Well we finally had a night it got below 30. It went down to 28 the other night and the temp went up to 43 the next day. I could not help it I had to go out and see if the sap was flowing. I took a number 58 drill bit. (real small) and drilled about 1 inch into a tree that is off by its own out at our pond and sure enough it was flowing. Man I can’t wait till Jan 2011. I plan on putting in the taps the first week of the New Year. Last year I made 70.5 gal and I am shooting for 100 gal this year. I had a big surprise given to me this year. A friend of mine had a old milk tank he got out of a milk barn he tore down and he asked me if I wanted it. I said sure and asked what size it was he told me about 300 or 400 gal so I thought that would be great to add to the 300 gal tank I already have. I got over to his place to get it and it is a 1500 gal tank. WOW!! So now I won’t have to use the 200 gal water tank once my 300 gal milk tank is full. Once church is over today I will be cutting wood and getting ready for the sap to start flowing.

2X8 pan
    total taps last year 726
    this year???
    Potential taps way more then I have time to do and more farms then I can travel to in a days time
    BMX UTV and 60 gal collection tank in the bed
    1500 gal milk tank for storage of sap

Similar except we hit 23 last night and suppose to get into 40's today. One thing is fall has a different feeling to the sun. in the spring the sun feels warmer for some reason???
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

the sun feels warmer because we just spent 3 months freezing our tails off, compared to now when we're only a few weeks away from a 70 degree day (we had 2 in October)
    A new generation of sugarmaker

Making Syrup with friends on a 2x6 and too many taps

hey tim, that sound's great! hope you have a great year.....by the way, do you have any plans for that 200 gal tank? i'm still trying to throw together some sort of evaporator ( not gonna do the roasting pan again) and i'm always looking to scrounge any thing i can use. nace in scottsville, ky.

+ Reply to Thread