+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Using a bulk tank as a feed tank

Default Using a bulk tank as a feed tank

I was doing some work around my sugarhouse this weekend and it looks like I will need to build a new stand for my feed tank. My current feed tank holds 125 gallons which is about a 3 hour supply of sap for me and when the tank gets low I pump from a 600 gallon bulk tank that is about 20' from the sugarhouse. That tank is shaded and I usually pile snow around it as well.

Since I need to build a new stand, I was wondering if I could build something that would support the 600 gallon tank and just feed sap from there. The problem as I see it is the weight. If the tank is full, it will need to support almost 6000lbs. My idea would be to build some kind of deck platform with lots of cross members.

Then again, I lose some ability to keep the tank cool and there is a lot of effort to build the platform so is it worth it. What do you guys think?
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch
    Semi complete 12'x24' sugarhouse in Somers, CT
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/CapturedNature
    My eBook: Making Maple Syrup in your Backyard

Not sure what we think really matters.
    Your shack, your operation, your call.

Think it through.
    Overbuilt is better than underbuilt. Posts below the frost line. Provisions to clean the tank, etc.
    If you have a budget for both time and materials and it won’t negatively impact future plans, go for it!
    42.67N 84.02W

350 taps- 300 on vacuum, 50 buckets
    JD gator 625i Sap hauler w/65 gal tank
    Leader 2X6 drop flue

Homemade auto draw-off
    Homemade preheater
    Homebrew RO, 2- xle-4040's
    LaPierre double vertical releaser
    Kinney KC-8 vacuum pump

12X24 shack
    Lots of chickens and a few cats.

In the long run, you probably won't be disappointed that you built a heavy platform and mounted the larger tank up there. "I should have done it back when..." is a common introduction on here when it comes to expansion and future plans. I've muttered it a few times myself. Okay, probably more than a few.

And a tarp or a roof of some sort over the tank will help considerably. Just keeping it out of the sun will make a difference. Build the platform with provisions to mount a roof at some point in the future.

Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

Can you lift the tank up there? If yes, go for it if YOU want to.
    I have a raised platform that has held different tanks over the last 5 years. Originally my head tank was a 415 gal Sunset Milk tank. It worked fine but I changed to a 200 gal after that and 2 years ago I changed to a 150 gal. The reason I kept reducing was because I decided I didn't want that much concentrate in my head tank. I RO into the head tank and really only wanted 1.5-2 hrs ahead (actually my boil rate is 70-80 GPH).
    I ask about lifting the weight because I used a 4 ton excavator to place my heavier tanks and as far out front as I was lifting the 415 one it was somewhat close to my max. with that mini excavator.
    As far as the platform, mine has worked well. I simply set 4 poles pressure treated 4x4's set 5' deep resting on a concrete 4" solid block, with one under where each leg was going to be on the 415. As I moved to smaller ones it proved to be plenty strong enough. On top of my posts, I sat a 4x4 the length of the deck, which was 10', well out past the end of the tanks and I used a steel truss plate on each side to hold the 4x4 from shifting. Then across the 4x4's I placed 2x4 joists every 16" and then the flooring on the deck is 2x6 laid flat and spaced about 1.5" apart. At the sugarhouse end it is screwed to a 2x4 which is screwed to each stud the full length. At the end away from the sugarhouse I have a 2x6 diagonal to hold the posts square. Then my tank butts tight against the north wall of the sugarhouse. The outlet enters thru a cutout in the wall and the main valve is in the sugarhouse. This works very well. If you do something similar, just be sure to have the tank high enough to feed the evaporator and allow for a future pre-heater in a hood. On mine I have a preheater and the tank bottom is about 16" above the top of the highest point on my pre-heater. This has proven good, in all the years I've had it like this I never even had to open any of the 4 bleeder vents I installed in the pre-heater in case of an air lock.
    For a 600 gal tank you may want to use 4x6 PT posts.
    Now, if you plan to get an RO in the next few years, that 600 is too big, holding sap is far better than holding concentrate for more that about 2 hrs unless you can keep it cold, like maybe 30F.
    Last edited by maple flats; 10-16-2017 at 04:44 PM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Last year I built a 12x12 raised deck that has 2 300g ss tanks and a 275g plastic tote tank for water storage. The frame is 4x6 pt posts 4 foot on center. 4x6 cross members 4 foot on center and the deck is 3" pine. I plan on adding walls and a roof to that this year. I will not regret it.
    30x8 Leader revolution, wood fired blower, steamaway/hood. 903 taps all but 54 on pipeline and 3 vacuum systems. Hauling sap this year with a 99 F350 7.3 diesel dump and of course back up is the Honda 450 and trailer.

Thanks for the replies and thoughts. I appreciate the input.

Originally I was thinking the weight would be an issue but it sounds like if I build the structure correctly that it should be OK. I think I'm going to do it as an add-on room out the back of my sugarhouse so it could have future uses in the space under it and enclose the tank if I wanted to. But, I'll just start with a platform. Thankfully I have some time!
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch
    Semi complete 12'x24' sugarhouse in Somers, CT
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/CapturedNature
    My eBook: Making Maple Syrup in your Backyard

An add-on room with usable space underneath it is a great idea. It might be more than what was in the original maple budget but you'll be very happy with that set up!
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

+ Reply to Thread