+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to move a milk tank?

Default How to move a milk tank?

Came across a deal on a 500 gal. Mueler in "like new" condition. I have to move it 10 feet across the barn floor, and then up 3 steps and out a tight entrance. Any suggestions for getting it up those 3 steps? Gotta figure it weighs over 1000 lbs. - it still has the condensor/agitator.

I was thinking of putting a 4x4 post behind the two front legs and winching off the post up aluminum ramps (if the ramps will carry the weight). If not, maybe block the underside of the ramps to help carry the weight. Don't want to bend or tear off the legs.

Any better ideas? Can't tractor/strap it.

Oh yea, once I get it home I've got to raise it up on a two foot platform to feed the RO - and also can't get a tractor in there. Any suggestions for straight lifting a tank. I don't think the rafters above will support a winch. Maybe jack and stack from underneath?
    Danno
    Just West of Syracuse
    3 x 10 Lightning
    Sihi Vacuum
    Sap Bros RO
    600 taps and buying sap

with the bigger tanks we build a pallet under them. jack it up a little, run a couple of planks across the legs. We drill a leg size hole through these so the tank doesn't slide around. and then connect those with planks running the length of the tank so that the longer planks are under the width wise planks, as if they were skis on a sled. Add additional bracing to strengthen or stiffen the "pallet". As you build the front of it, put in some sort of framing that you can pull from.

I have seen the milk equipment dealers use about a 4" wide channel iron to make a set of "rails". They will put these under the legs and push, pull or whatever it takes to go up a step or whatever they have to cross.
    I moved a 800 gal muller out of a milk house that we had to roll on its side on to a sheet of about 1/8th" plastic and drag it out on its side to fit though the door. We had about 10 guys there and it wasn't as bad as it sounds. These tanks are more bulky then heavy. Syrup makers need lots of friends even in the off season! Good luck!

At 500 gal I doubt it weighs that much. I loaded a 1000 gal Zero and it was under 1000#. However, try some channels like sapsucker78 suggested. Get some help there and a couple of 2x6's to pry with. Use come alongs from any sturdy anchor point.
    I have now moved 3 tanks, a 415 Sunset, a 545 Sunset and the 1000 Zero. With each move I estimated too high and planned how to move it and each time it proved to be easier than I envisioned. Just think the move out and a few helpers will do fine.
    On my last one, the 1000 zero it loaded fine because it was outdoors and the seller had a BIG payloader. On the unload end I did it with my mini excavator with no problem. The mini weighs 8000# and will lift 2500 2 feet out from the blade. I put straps around the tank and hooked them to the bucket. I then lifted the tank at about 8' out in front and held it while I pulled the trailer out from under it. There is no way it could have weighed over 1000# or the mini would have tipped that far out. Based on that I'll bet your tank weighs about 500-650#. Remove any extra weight you can first. On my sunsets I removed the agitators, lids and paddles. This was before I had the Mini.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Default bulk tank moving

davey has the right idea. i helped my brother move a 1k gal. tank. we bolted 2x8's to the legs then screwed 2 more 2x8's to the ones on the legs like it had skiis, so we could slide it on some pipes to the doorway of the milkhouse then the farmer used his loader and slowly pulled it through the doorway and outside. we then used the pipes again to slide it in position to a tilt bed snowmobile trailer and put some pipes near the back of the trailer and slid the tank up until the trailer closed up flat and then straped it down and once back to where it was going we tilted the trailer and slid it off and using pipes slid it into its new milk room.

When I put my "new" used tank (800 gallon Mueller) in my milk room, we had to lift it through a window. Four of us handled it and two of us were over 50 Take the agitator, lids and whatever else you can off. They look a lot heavier than they are.

When you go to raise it up Just use timbers to build a cribbing jack it up alittle and block it and then jack some more. 2 feet isn't that much to do but make certain that it is stable as you go. The others have pretty much covered your removal issues. Make sure you use the tape measure before to ensure it will fit as you go.
    Many times farmers built the milk room around the tank
    Good luck
    Keith

Strip everything off the tank and you will be surprised as to how light it is.
    Bob- 4 x 12 Small Bros. Lightning w/raised flues-open pans
    20 x 40 sugarhouse, all tubing-main line to sugarhouse
    1400+- for 2011 & 100% vacuum
    Polaris 500 HO w/Tatou 4s Tracks
    1 Chocolate Lab from TEXAS

The easiest way to move it is to get someone else to do it for you

This has been a good post to read because I was thinking of the same thing myself. I will likely be moving my 600 gal tank out from under my shed roof next year. That's a good idea to put some skis on it and pull it and it will be how I remove mine.

Can you jack up directly against the outer shell of the tank? I wasn't sure if the shell would support the weight of the tank.

When you pull the tank, do you put a strap around the front legs? I'm wondering if the legs are strong enough to pull on without breaking.
    Josh

2009 - 370 on vac. & 16 buckets
    2010 - 377 on vac.
    2011 - 590 on vac.
    2012 - 620 on high vac., 170 buckets, 110 on gravity tubing
    2013 - 830 mine + 800-1000 others
    2014 - 870 mine + 800-1000 others
    2017 - 920 mine + 500-700 others
    2018 - 902 mine + 500-700 others
    2019 - 902 mine + 700 others
    2020 - 902 mine + ???? others
    Atlas Copco Pump