+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Plans for next season?

Thanks and now lets get back to sugaring. Woodshed designs. I'm going to do a lean too of the back end. Would you build walls or leave the sides open? On the inside would you leave it open or build doors to close in the sugarhouse in the winter? Looks like I'll be moving my wood pile again.
    Take care
    Al
    Algiers 24x66 evaporator
    180 taps (all buckets)
    New Holland 1720 Tractor
    Pumpkin Village Settlement
    and a big smile!
    A wife and 2 boys who make it all fun.

Al,

Might just want to leave the sides open as it will make it much easier to access wood and to stack it also. Supposedly, it will dry better this way too as more air can flow through it.

You could also just extend your building roof out a few more feet on the end of you building and at a few more trusses and a couple of 6x6 treated posts and it would be stronger and last longer. That is what I am hoping to do with my building, extend it 8' from the end of the building and this will give me an 8x24 woodshed!

Good luck!
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Al how bout a sliding door to the inside of the sugarhouse so you can grab wood fast without going outside?
    Stack the wood right to it and then start burning from there
    Jim & Charlene Desjardins
    Belchertown MA.

Had a good 13 year run, but circumstances ! and loss of tree use.. we are ending the Maple thing for now... maybe be back in a few years

www.Desjardinsmaple.com

facebook Jim Desjardins

Al,
    I have found that keeping the wood inside I can get a better boiling rate than if the same wood is outside covered. As long as the wood going in is good and dry you are ok. If it is wet when you stack it inside it will get moldy and slowly rot. I have been told that wood that is stored outside that is covered will have a higher moisture content than the same wood stored inside. It seems to be true for me because I can notice a difference. But if you can't close it in atleast a roof over head will be better.
    Keith

Jim, I'm with you on the sliding door. Was in several sugar houses this year and the cold breeze,wind, blowing in on the syrup pan didn't help the boil at all. If at all possible have the temp all around the syrup pan even,cold spots can mess up your gradient big time!

Like saphead said,,a door is critical,,,when I tried to boil with the woodshed doors open it REALLY slowed things down,,as for the shed I think you should leave the sides open,let the air in there a little,heck if you dont like it that way you can board it in anytime
    Salisbury Sugarworks,,Parker Rowe, and friends
    Salisbury, N.H.
    1988 taps in 09
    over 2500 on vac in 2010
    no buckets in 2010
    2815 taps in 2011
    shooting for 3000 in 2012
    4000 taps? In 2014
    5x16 wood fired "Mighty Marvin"
    50 cords in the shed
    Old, old R.O.
    Charter member Andover/Salisbury Mapleholics
    http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/4...s009bx4.th.jpg

Hey guys the best wood shed idea I have seen was added on the gable end of the sugar house. same width and height. It had sliding doors on 3 sides. They could put wood in from 3 sides and open any side or all sides to dry wood. If rain was forcast they pulled doors shut. When they boiled they could open any of the 3 doors or close them. Had a 4th slider between wood and sugarhouse. Wood shed was about 24x24. They also had wood cart (maybe 2) they loaded and rolled near the evaporator to keep supply handi to fire box. Concrete floor on both and only slight ramp from one to other.
    Get building and remember 40x60 sugarhouse is just till you get time to build the one you really need.
    Mark
    1700 Taps /1600 on Vac. 3x10 King evaporator
    20 head Charolais cattle
    8 head Lowline Angus
    28 Miniature horses
    90 hives honey bees
    JD 4430 tractor

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123