+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steam hood venting

Default Steam hood venting

I am going to have to put a 45 degree elbow to get my steam hood to vent. Will this restrict the flow and cause any problems? I have a 2 by 8 evaporator and I will be suspending a 3 by 7 steam hood about 18 inches over my rig. I could cut a new hole but there is already one close and I do not want to cut any more holes in my roof if I can avoid it. Thanks.

Chris
    Chris
    18 X 20 sugar shack
    1300 taps all on vac.
    2 by 8 Lapierre all stanless evaporator
    Steam Hood
    Lapierre 250 Turbo R.O.
    Polaris Ranger
    30 years experience

What diameter stack do you plan? If large enough you will be fine.
    I have a 3x8 with a 3x6 full cover hood over the flue pan and an extension of 20" over the 3x2 syrup pan that is 16" off the syrup pan. I have 2- 8" steam stack that terminate in the cupola, they don't even go out side and they work fine. The steam off the syrup pan is sucked into the hood about 99% with very little escaping even thou that part of the hood is up 16" and is 4" shorter than the pan. It still works.
    Based on that I think you should be fine. I might suggest a 10" min and better a 12" stack if you will have just 1 stack, but I think most of the time a 10" will do.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I'm in the planning process of hoods for my 2x8 and was hoping 1 12" stack would do. I also will need 1 elbow want to terminate in the cupola. My only concern is the stack will only be 8' tall and I'm hoping it will have enough draw.

Jim
    12 x 16 Sugarhouse, 12 x 16 Woodshed
    2 x 8 “The Mutt” Evaporator with Marcland Drawoff
    Leader oil fired arch, Dallaire raised flue, Smoky Lake syrup pan and hoods with pre-heater
    New Leader Clear Filter Press/Air Diaphragm Pump
    5” Hand Pump Filter Press from Daryl-One of the first three! On loan to a friend.
    Deer Run 250 gal/hr RO
    A Very Understanding Wife
    "At any time during the day you're only 10 seconds from disaster!"

Default 8"

The description of the hood I bought states and 8" thimble which I thought was exhaust. If the exhaust is only 8" I am a little concerned. I am not opposed to adding an in-line fan. It is rated for 250 cfm which should help draw the steam through the hood. Any thoughts or experience with this? I bought a stainless hood and have not had a chance to pick it up yet (hence my questions). Thanks.

Chris
    Last edited by backyardsugarer; 09-22-2010 at 12:57 PM.
    Chris
    18 X 20 sugar shack
    1300 taps all on vac.
    Steam Hood
    Lapierre 250 Turbo R.O.
    Polaris Ranger
    30 years experience

If you plan to run a pre heater in the hood, you do not want a fan to help flow. In fact some even use a damper to slightly pressurize the hood for greater heat exchange. If you bought a commercially made hood, the 8" will be the right size, I'm sure they know what size they need. If this is a custom made from a non maple source the size might not have been tested.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

And if the in line fan's motor is in side the pipe and not external, the condensate with raise holy hell with the motor. I used a squirrel cage fan on mine with an external motor. I do however agree with maple flats that it may create too much flow if you have a pre-heater in the hood. It also depends on which style hood you are useing. My hoods fit onto the pans so that the fan does not drawn cold air in them( i am sure that there is some air leaking in because they are not sealed air tight around the pans) where as if your hoods are just canipes hanging over your pans. that would suck alot of cold air.
    3rd generation maple producer
    3x10 Lightning Small Brothers (on natural gas)with piggyback
    Still need more taps, 1100 on vacuum
    A 24' x24' sugarhouse (2011)too small(2012)
    Homemade Finishing and Bottling Equipment (on natural gas)
    Brother to Brother operation with plenty
    of family and friends support
    Still expanding, new sugar house being planned for 2018

Default Fan

Smitty,

Where did you get your fan with the external motor? Home Depot carries the inline fans with the housing inside. I do not plan to use a pre-heater and my hood will be suspended.

Chris
    Chris
    18 X 20 sugar shack
    1300 taps all on vac.
    Steam Hood
    Lapierre 250 Turbo R.O.
    Polaris Ranger
    30 years experience

Smile

Chris,
    It is just a regular squirrel cage blower, like one from a small forced hot air furnace, that I hid in the rafters. I put a 8 in stove pipe flange on the suction side of the blower and used 10 in square ducting from the discharge side of the blower to the out side of the sap house. Unfortunately, our sap house does not have a cupola so we just blow the steam out the side.

Also, we ran the discharge duct with a slight slope down from the fan to get the condensate to run out side and not back into the pans.

In my experience you do not need to help the steam escape, it will get out as long as the steam vent (stack ) is about the right size. Yours sounds good.
    Mine sets tight on the flue pan (sort of tight) and an extension is elevated over the syrup pan. The steam gets out fine and natural draw pulls in some fresh air in at the raised part. It still gets out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast