+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drop Flue Pan

Ready to weld the two halves together. Back gassing (purging) helps the inside of the welds.

Sugarmaker thanks for the info, I may need to talk with you in more detail a little later.

Big Eddy keep up the good ideas.

David
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sorghum Producer
    60 Bee Hives
    200 Acres of Ky hills
    225 Taps on Gravity
    2018 - Lapierre 2X8 Storm
    1963 Military M37 Sap Hauler
    and if things get tough...M35A2
    youtube videos

Default Pressbrake

Has anyone used a pressbrake to build a flue pan? What kind of dies are required?

Default were is your new thread

Id like to see the new thread, how do i find it?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Eddy View Post
    Great to see that my original post is helping others to make their own flue pans. You might be interested in the new thread I started that shows making a syrup pan using the same brake with a twist.

David,
    That sure is starting to look good for the flues. Nice welding work! And I like the custom clamp design to hold the flue and the end plate.
    Is the "box" inside allowing gas to be in the joint during welding?
    Question? Are you going to design and build a drain into the bottom connecting all the flues and allowing it to exit through the side of the arch?
    BTW my old custom Amish built King pans only have 10 flues of about the same size. Still boils pretty good!

Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

jimbo,
    http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?t=10036
    or look under homemade equipment on main page and look for 60 minute pan thread.
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

David,

Nice job on the pan. People are not going to beleive you when you say its homemade. Have some in-process photo's in hand when your showing it, lol.

Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

SugarMaker
    I started welding the flues using a piece of aluminum tubing for a form/heat sink and I wasn't real happy with the back side of the welds. So I welded up the ends and drilled a series of small holes in the edge and added a small fitting to pipe argon into. The argon on the back side really cleared up the welds. As far a a drain, I have thought about it, but haven't came up with a easy way to do it. Do you have any ideas/pictures on how they are done on "real" pans?

Bucket Head
    It's not a slick as the pictures show. Unless you are like my dad and about blind, they will believe it's home made. BTW you have some real good pictures on your site that will help me a lot. I hadn't ran across a good picture of a float valve, and you had just what I needed. thanks

David
    Sorghum Producer
    60 Bee Hives
    200 Acres of Ky hills
    225 Taps on Gravity
    youtube videos

David,

I'm happy to hear my photo's are a help. Thats why we "homemade" guys post them. I found your photo's to be very interesting. Your photo's will help many folks when they attempt a pan. I liked the Vise-Grip flue holding tool- I wish I had that when I did my flues. I cut pieces of wood for spacers and clamped everything together. And yes, the wood was very charred by the end of the project. The wood smoke was worse than the welding smoke!

What gas and what diameter tungsten are you using? There are several "mixes" out there for stainless and every welding supply will recomend a different one. At least thats been my experience when it came to gas on the MIG with the stainless wire. A couple of weeks ago I purchased a TIG unit like yours so I was wondering how it was set up. Thanks.

Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

Chris
    I'm new to the TIG process, though I've had the machine for a few years. When I bought it I was needing a stick machine to weld old farm equipment, and I wanted the capability to TIG. My MIG (Miller 210) works great, but for rusty steel you need a stick machine. I figured when I needed the TIG, I would teach myself. Well that time has come. I'm using 1/16 tungsten and 100% argon gas, and -DC. I've had a hard time over the last few weeks learning how to TIG the thin stainless. As long as I have a heat sink I can get by, but without it, it's tough.

It looks like the stainless you used is thicker than what I used (22g). How did you bend it, and shear/cut it?

Well we have snow and freezing rain this morning, so I guess the sugar house will be put on hold and it's back to the flue pan.

David
    Sorghum Producer
    60 Bee Hives
    200 Acres of Ky hills
    225 Taps on Gravity
    youtube videos

Stainless TIG is 100% argon. MIG uses TriMix and other blends. For the thin stainless (20-24 gauge) a heat sink will help a lot. For a corner weld, get the tightest fitup you can and just fuse the 2 together, no filler. If you need filler for the inevitable hole or two, 0.024" MIG wire is the best option.

Weld a bit hot and move fast to try to avoid letting the heat build up - will reduce warping.

Welding with the joint vertical (downhill) will also help as you are moving away from the heat and chasing your puddle.

Backpurge to prevent sugaring.

Some guys make it an art - I'm not one of them. I did a lot of practice pieces before I started my pan.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Big_Eddy
    Eastern Ontario (Quinte)
    20+ years on a 2x3 block arch,
    Homemade 20"x64" drop flue since 2011

Build a Block Arch
    Build a Flat Pan
    Build a Flue Pan
    Sweetening the Pans
    Build a Bending Brake
    Using a Hydrotherm
    How much Sap to Sweeten?