+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Advantage of homemade barrels arch... more sleep !

Default Advantage of homemade barrels arch... more sleep !

Well this year I upgraded the two pan barrel setup to force air and added a nice big drip preheater. Also put it into a shack so rain is no longer an issue. Biggest thing I like about this setup though is that I can fill the pans full and stoke the fire and then go to bed. Come back in morning to almost empty pans ! I know bigger units go faster, but for small timers this feature is hard to beat !

What are peoples thoughts on this setup vs. going to a flat pan setup ? I boil off at least 2 gallons per hour, sometimes as much as 5 with this setup so it's not real fast that way. How would that compare to say a 2x4 pan ?
    31 Taps in 2011 with buckets, Barrel evap
    45+ Taps for 2012 with buckets, 2x5 Dryer Arch with steel pans ! 8x11 Sugar Shack, Dump Stations,
    60 Taps for 2013- Insulated Dryer arch, AUF,
    2014 watched from sidelines...
    70 Taps for 2015 - dryer arch, new 2x5 divided pan from Smokey Lake with a float box !
    70 Taps for 2016 - added a preheater and new grates for the Dryerator.
    80 Taps for 2018 - Dryer arch got new front and door

I have two 2x3 pans on my concrete blocks and today I am cooking out in the rain. It seems impossible to tell how much I boil off because alot of it is done in my sleep........I DON"T think there is a better taste !
    2010 100 taps in (mainly) virgin trees with bucketts
    2x3 pan of my father's collection of three
    (two vanished)
    1947 Ford 8N
    5 German Shepherds
    3 paints
    7 Grass Fed Steers in the pasture
    8 1/2 gallons of syrup for the seasen

2011 60 taps to bucketts
    a new 2x3 pan
    Shepherds, horses, and 3 less steers
    A goal to hollow out a log
    Praying the tractor makes it into 2012

Quote Originally Posted by smokeyamber View Post
    Well this year I upgraded the two pan barrel setup to force air and added a nice big drip preheater. Also put it into a shack so rain is no longer an issue. Biggest thing I like about this setup though is that I can fill the pans full and stoke the fire and then go to bed. Come back in morning to almost empty pans ! I know bigger units go faster, but for small timers this feature is hard to beat !

What are peoples thoughts on this setup vs. going to a flat pan setup ? I boil off at least 2 gallons per hour, sometimes as much as 5 with this setup so it's not real fast that way. How would that compare to say a 2x4 pan ?
    well....ours is oil fired. but with the preheater and running the pans at about an inch we are getting over 20 per hour of steam

Wow Kev, that is a really nice rate, so is your 2x4 a flat pan or is it a drop flue ? Just curious, I would love to boil a bit faster, my only constraint now is the sugarshack size, a 2x4 will fit though. What model evap are you running ? At your rate I could be done REAL quick and still go to bed
    31 Taps in 2011 with buckets, Barrel evap
    45+ Taps for 2012 with buckets, 2x5 Dryer Arch with steel pans ! 8x11 Sugar Shack, Dump Stations,
    60 Taps for 2013- Insulated Dryer arch, AUF,
    2014 watched from sidelines...
    70 Taps for 2015 - dryer arch, new 2x5 divided pan from Smokey Lake with a float box !
    70 Taps for 2016 - added a preheater and new grates for the Dryerator.
    80 Taps for 2018 - Dryer arch got new front and door

+ Reply to Thread