+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a Float valve idea please

Default Need a Float valve idea please

Have a 2 X 4 pan, and need to figure out an easier way of dripping sap from my elevated 55 gallon storage tank into the pan. Any suggestions that involve items laying around the garage?

Go to your local farm and garden store and check out there floats for livestock watering tanks. I have never tried one because i have an evaporator with a float box but always thought they might work if ya found the right one. let me know how ya make out if you try it.
    10x12 sugar shack (gonna have to add on)
    http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj139/yorkholomaple/

On my 2x4 pan, I had a preheater pan that dripped sap into the larger pan. I relocated the small pan , mounting it to the side of the 2x4, installed a float valve, connected it to a head tank. Works great !! No more pailing sap into preheater & constantly adjusting flow rate. Can post pics if anyone wants to see them.
    100 taps
    2' x 4' Patrick Phaneuf flat pan
    Oil tank arch

I have a float valve from grainger that is hooked upto an old float and sits right in the pan, has been working great for me. I can post some pictures when I get home tomorrow.
    custom made 2x7 intensofire
    With SL pans
    250 deer run
    300 3/16 (new 2016)
    500 sacks around the neighborhood

Dave
    2x6 Patrick Phaneuf flat-pan
    Homemade float valve
    100 taps last year, hoping for 125 this year

I made one that worked good. Soldered a 1/2'x1"+ elbow to a pipe with the wide opening down, then rigged an arm with a rubber disc to come up against the opening, with the float I made on the outer end of the arm. The float could be any flat can.

I rigged up a brass toilet valve and copper float ball to control a siphon feed from a barrel. I just got it operating yesterday and has run continuously for about 30 hours without issues. Knock on wood !
    Next I'm going to make a few loops of pipe that fit in an electric roaster and splice it into the feed line. Fill the roaster with water and I'll have an easily controlable preheater.

Quote Originally Posted by jmayerl View Post
    I have a float valve from grainger that is hooked upto an old float and sits right in the pan, has been working great for me. I can post some pictures when I get home tomorrow.
    I'd love to see those pics.

Yes, those livestock floats work great. Im using one for the first time this year. It fills at the perfect rate and and doesnt take my boil down except on a drawoff and thats hardly noticable.

sorry totally forgot till now(been busy boiling for the past week. The float worked great until the float itself had a seam go bad. it was a quick fix and back to boiling.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    custom made 2x7 intensofire
    With SL pans
    250 deer run
    300 3/16 (new 2016)
    500 sacks around the neighborhood

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast